Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #41

Re: meet up in Los Angeles Hollywood Area

IF we make it
There is a GOOD chance of Thai Curry......

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #42

Mark your calendars folks. Saturday, OCT 6th 10am is our meet date/time. I'm sure there will be some of us heading out early (Friday, 10/5) and staying longer (Sunday, 10/7). If there's no objections to Gorman that will be our meet location. Speak now or forever hold your peace. Thanks for participating in the poll.

BTW - Can someone take the lead on marking the exact location of our meet (directions/gps points/etc.)?

I'm not familiar with Gorman. Never been there.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #43

Meet Date/Time: Saturday, Oct 6th 10am (although some of us will be camping their Friday 10/5 through Sun 10/7).

Meet Location:
Aliklik Campground in Hungry Valley
http://www.ohvguide.com/maps/images/hungryvalleyxlg.jpg

Directions:
Traveling North on Interstate 5, exit at Smokey Bear Road. At the bottom of the off ramp take a left at the stop sign traveling under the freeway. At the next stop sign, make a left on Pyramid Lake Road and an immediate right onto Hungry Valley Road which is dirt. You will see a brown sign for Hungry Valley SVRA.

Traveling South on Interstate 5, take the Gorman Exit. Turn right at the bottom of the off ramp, then another right onto Peace Valley Road. The entrance to the park is one mile north on Peace Valley Road.

More info:
There's a 10 acre off-road course adjacent to it.
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25606

$10 overnight fee
$5 day use fee
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=405

Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #44

Count me in! I'm hoping to staying the night but not sure yet if I can make that happen.
Really looking forward to it.

John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:43 PM   #45

I am in! Sounds like great time and we will be staying overnite
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #46

The directions given are correct and that will route you to the main entrance through the town of Gorman. There is fuel, Carls Jr., McDs, Motel and a few other things there. You will have to drive 3/4 of the way through the park coming in from the main entrance. Not a big deal and it is all paved. If coming from the South it is easiest to access by Smokey Bear Road, the rear entrance that also has a Ranger booth a little ways in. Same exit to use if going to Lake Pyramid. If going in this rear entrance you will encounter a dirt road, also Hungry Valley Road I believe but 2wd is fine. It will turn paved after a few miles and the Aliklik campground will be on the left a few miles in.
If enough people are camping I may try and make it Sunday morning but currently have the Expedition Portal Moutain Rendevous in Big Bear Friday and Saturday already. If you are planning on camping Friday or Saturday at Gorman please post that info so others know who might be thinking of coming out out early or late.
Feel free to ask more questions on Gorman/Hungry Valley. I have ridden that place for most of my life. Be careful of head on collisions on the trails, lots of newbie and unskilled riders to put it politely.

Have Fun!
Eric

2000 Ford E-350 7.3L Quigley 4x4 hard top with custom interior by Xtreme Fab - Sold
KTMRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #47
Site Team

BTW, I think Smokey Bear Road is appropriately named, it's a favored lurking spot for the local CHP.

Herb
Old 09-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRIDER
The directions given are correct and that will route you to the main entrance through the town of Gorman. There is fuel, Carls Jr., McDs, Motel and a few other things there. You will have to drive 3/4 of the way through the park coming in from the main entrance. Not a big deal and it is all paved. If coming from the South it is easiest to access by Smokey Bear Road, the rear entrance that also has a Ranger booth a little ways in. Same exit to use if going to Lake Pyramid. If going in this rear entrance you will encounter a dirt road, also Hungry Valley Road I believe but 2wd is fine. It will turn paved after a few miles and the Aliklik campground will be on the left a few miles in.
If enough people are camping I may try and make it Sunday morning but currently have the Expedition Portal Moutain Rendevous in Big Bear Friday and Saturday already. If you are planning on camping Friday or Saturday at Gorman please post that info so others know who might be thinking of coming out out early or late.
Feel free to ask more questions on Gorman/Hungry Valley. I have ridden that place for most of my life. Be careful of head on collisions on the trails, lots of newbie and unskilled riders to put it politely.

Have Fun!
Eric
I saw that post in the Ex Portal forum. How fun are those Rendevous?
Old 09-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #49

Roll Call so far:

bill wilson
kevan
john wintersteller
ocsmb
rawdawg
steve w
jeffrey
broncohauler
yakhlr
Old 09-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #50

Just confirming roll-call - I plan to be there. Very much looking forward to it!
-KeVan