Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #1

Memorial Day trip, waterfalls in North Carolina

So we have wanted to get over to Transylvania county NC (yes, really) for awhile. It is supposed to have 250 waterfalls in one county alone and we love hiking to waterfalls. Sounds like the Oregon of the east, stradling the NC/Georgia line south of Asheville NC. Our plan was to leave home and plan to be out 3 nights/3.5 days and just explore. This time of the year no big deal if we didn't find a campground, we would just boondock somewhere. With it being Memorial Day weekend with no reservations we figured that was a given. The copilot was all in.

We headed south from Knoxville and had a picnic on our first day out along the Hiwasee River. On the river by an old schoolhouse in this pic.

We headed on down from there to the Ocoee River, a happenin' whitewater spot which was pretty busy given the holiday weekend. You can drive Hwy 64 out of Cleveland Tn. (just north of Chattanooga) and go right along the river with lots of pull-offs to watch rafters and kayakers. No pics of this unfortunately but I wish I had stopped. The area was really busy and no parking along the road. We checked out several new campgrounds near here but all were full. Always good to have my wife on a scouting mission and get her approval of some new spots. The Ultimate CG Finder app proved useful as always.

From there we continued east on 64 to Chatuge Lake near Hayesville and Murphy NC. It was getting to be happy hour so we started looking harder for a campsite or camp spot. We lucked up on some dispersed camping on a nice manicured lakeside lawn with only about 10 other folks, right on the water. $10 to the marina up the road and we couldn't have been happier. We got settled right at dusk and this pic captures the peace and quiet of sunset, drinks, kids and great weather for a lakeside sunset.

The next morning. I couldn't quite frame the SMB and the lake in a good pic, so I took the next best pic. Just the SMB.

The next morning we headed east towards Standing Indian CG, which I've always heard is a beautiful place. It was, and we lucked out on some open spots. Great hiking, waterfalls, and beauty surround this place. I'll be back, with a reservation for a few days.

Playing with a fisheye camera lens. Nice to frame the whole van from 10 feet away.

This guy looks totally goofy with the fisheye lens too.

This is Big Laurel Creek, I think, which runs through the campground.

Gorgeous trails around the campground

These pics are of Big Laurel and Mooney Falls, both a few miles from Standing Indian. I can't remember which was which, but this area is a beautiful example of the Eastern woods I love. So green you almost can't believe it.

We headed back to camp early and started mixing libations, having a great night of conversation around the campfire. As luck would have it, my daughter woke up sick at 1 a.m. Big fun in an SMB in the woods. We took a detour home the next day and never actually even made it to Transylvania County where the concentration of waterfalls is. Anyway, no regrets. It was still a great weekend and the girl was fine within a day or two.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Memorial Day trip, waterfalls in North Carolina

Aussies rule.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:16 PM   #3

Nice pics. Looks like a great weekend.
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Glad it wasn't something bad and your daughters OK. You can always go back. Nice pics BTW. Strange to see green grass

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #5

Looks like you had a great time and found some great places to camp. Glad your daughter recovered quickly.

Before you make it to the Pacific NW find a copy of the Waterfall Lovers Guide to the Pacific NW by Gregory A. Plumber. Currently in its fourth edition. It lists hundreds of waterfalls in Oregon, Washington, and Idaho with driving and hiking directions to each falls. Have used the book many times and found allmost of the directions to be accurate.

My all time favorite is Upper Falls near Proxy Falls. The water comes out of the ground and drops about 125 feet into a pool with no outlet.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Thanks guys.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Waterfall Lovers Guide to the Pacific NW by Gregory A. Plumber
Hey, I have that book!

Nice trip report. Looks like fun with the family. Love seeing pictures of places I've never seen.
Hope your daughter is well.

Mike
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM   #8

Garage

hard to believe theres so few smbs in your area with places like youve shown. those pix are absolutely beautiful and the area looks amazing. so green and lush. thanks for sharing man!

and thanks for the heads up larrie. will have to pick that book up!
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #9

looks like you had a nice time. Your AS looks JUST like my old pup, except she had brown eyes. Oh and she could never be off a leash, ha! Fastest dog I've ever seen and that's coming from someone who frequents the greyhound track.
Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie
hard to believe theres so few smbs in your area with places like youve shown. those pix are absolutely beautiful and the area looks amazing. so green and lush. thanks for sharing man!

and thanks for the heads up larrie. will have to pick that book up!
Me too on the book.

SMB's are starting to gain traction around here. I think they're destined to get bigger everywhere. I think folks are starting to see the benefit of traveling light and getting away from the crowd. A huge 5th wheel with a big screen TV on the side just ain't campin'!