Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #21

[QUOTE=REF;198569]For a relatively easy place to meet up with a group I would recommend we look at willow flats area. /QUOTE]

Google maps shows Willow flats about 30 miles down 313, is that correct?

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:19 PM   #22

Moab and beyond.

Howdy. Bill here, a friend of Rick's. My family will be there too. Looking forward to meeting you.

I looked at a map today with Alex. I'm virtually certain we are meeting here:

https://goo.gl/maps/RiiZE1zGziC2

Don't use Google map directions if they say to drive up the main road into Arches. Instead: say you're coming from Moab, proceed north on 191, go past the Archview RV Resort, then turn right on Willow Flats Road (to East; google shows this road as BLM 378), then go up until you get to slickrock but not as far as the park boundary. In the imagery I can envision the right turn at the end that Rick mentioned.

Rick please confirm. Hasta.

PS: the pin isn't necessarily in the exact spot, so look for us or call or look for a message ... .
yelnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #23
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Moab and beyond.

No, it's off 191, north of Archview RV Resort and Campground

Willow Flats Rd
Thompson, UT 84540
United States

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 PM   #24

Anyone bringing mountain bikes? Moto bikes? ADV bikes?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
There is now a pit toilet out there according to my buddies......some cool free camping...haven't camped there in a couple years.

The last time I passed through there I didn't notice any pit toilets, but that was about 3 months ago. But I may not have seen it either.
I know of better places to camp but none so close to town.
bad luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnam View Post
Howdy. Bill here, a friend of Rick's. My family will be there too. Looking forward to meeting you.

I looked at a map today with Alex. I'm virtually certain we are meeting here:

https://goo.gl/maps/RiiZE1zGziC2

Rick, could you please confirm that the above directions are the correct ones? I see that Yelnam's pin is at Willow springs trail, rather than Willow flats camp ground located in Canyon lands about 60 miles away, Thanks.
Advanced 4wd
Old 03-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Rick, could you please confirm that the above directions are the correct ones? I see that Yelnam's pin is at Willow springs trail, rather than Willow flats camp ground located in Canyon lands about 60 miles away, Thanks.

FWIW.....this is the area that I was talking about.....by the sovereign trail system. Free boondocking......relatively new pit toilet out there....fairly popular.

There are lots of great camping sites in Moab.......the sites along the Colorado river and highway 128 are really nice..Hal campground etc...there are lots, but they are pay (used to be $17/night).

There are also other primitive pay sites off of sand flats road at the other end of town by the slickrock and porcupine rim trails.....

and many many more.....if you want higher elevation there are sites at Warner lake off of the LaSalle loop road, etc.....and a bunch more off of the loop road.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:33 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF View Post
No, it's off 191, north of Archview RV Resort and Campground

Willow Flats Rd
Thompson, UT 84540
United States
Sorry for the confusion.....I think Ref and I are talking about the same place.....I thought the GPS coordinates were there....not exactly......
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #29
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Right, I'll try to clarify, it's gotten a bit confusing. My friend Bill (yelnam) replied at the same time as my last post and I didn't see it till now.

That's the area I'm talking about, near sovereign as mentioned, willow flats is off of 191, a mile or 2 north of Archview RV/gas station, there is a road marker, if dropping down from the north off 70, it'll be on your left, if you hit Archview you've missed it. I think the spot he has marked on the map is further in on the trail than the spot we usually go.

I'm not talking about the Willow Springs campground in Canyonlands. Yes, there are better, more secluded camping spots than willow flats area around Moab, but none offer easier access or for others to easily find and have easy access to a variety of trails to bike, moto or 4 wheel drive. There's also plenty of wide open spots for large groups to gather, for free!

We are meeting up with several friends, I think all, including us are bringing our dog/s (and kid/s), many of the campgrounds, especially within the park require dogs on leash (not sure about the kids), and the campgrounds along the river are small spots, get super crowded, need reservations, are too close to the road and don't really have river access anyway, so you've got road noise all day and headlights hitting you all night, not a big fan of them myself, although the new bike trail is nice, but again, right along the road with sections where you're riding on the road. Anyway, I hope that helps.

I don't think I'm bringing the KTM on this trip or even the bikes, not sure I'd have time to ride seeing as how its more of a family trip for us and our friends-hanging out, hiking, 4 wheeling or driving more scenic trails. PM me if you're going and want to exchange contact numbers.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #30

We have had a great trip so far with the highlight being an intense wind and rain storm in Idaho. Tumble weeds were blowing across the freeway at 50mph, it reminded us of The beginning of The Wizard of Oz. we finally had to pull over to remove them all from the front of the van. I was expecting a funnel cloud at any time, but the clouds never quite made it to the ground. Anyway, We're in Salt Lake tonight and will be in Moab tomorrow. The current weather is calling for dropping temps and snow in the valleys starting tomorrow night, so I've loaded up on firewood. The snow may dampen our ability to do some of the trails, but I'm still looking forward to it.
Advanced 4wd