Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Garage
Mojave Road April 29-May 1, 2016

We are planning a Mojave Road trip for those interested.

Location- Mojave Road from Barstow to Laughlin

Date- April 29 to May 1, 2016

The plan is to meet up in Barstow early Fri or Sat morning and figure out who is going. We will run as much of the Mojave Road as possible (new regulations may limit use, TBD) to Laughlin, NV and spend the night. The return trip will be similar.

If necessary, the trip may be abbreviated to Primm for the night if we run into issues,

Check back for updates as the date approaches.

This is open this up to all capable rigs and people interested in the trip. You will need to be prepared with fuel, food and water for full days off the grid. Recovery gear, spares and tools are a must as nobody knows your rig and its needs like you do.

We hope to make it a safe, fun, and educational trip for all.

Scott

REDOVAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Ouch, that is a bit too close to summer temps for me. From what I've been told there hasn't been any changes to running the Mojave Trail. I do know if it's over a certain amount of vehicles in a group you need a permit. I don't recall the numbers of vehicles that require you to apply for it, but it used to be something like 7 & over. When I did it I was by myself. The phone number was 760 252-6101. Please post back if you have any trouble.

Question, so you don't plan to start at the Colorado so you can get yer rock? Also are you planning to run the Mojave wash too?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Ouch, that is a bit too close to summer temps for me. From what I've been told there hasn't been any changes to running the Mojave Trail. I do know if it's over a certain amount of vehicles in a group you need a permit. I don't recall the numbers of vehicles that require the need of a permit but it used to be something like 7 & over. When I did it I was by myself. The phone number was 760 252-6101. Please post back if you have any trouble.

Question, so you don't plan to start at the Colorado so you can get yer rock? Also are you planning to run the Mojave wash too?
We are starting from the Barstow side and doing the trail eastbound towards mile 1. The way back will be the actual trail as it's supposed to be.

I think the limit for a group is 5 vehicles...we will likely need a pass.

I will report back when we have more data for the run.

Scott
Old 03-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #4

Garage
UPDATE

We will be abbreviating this trip and not running all the way into Laughlin. There is a river run that weekend that is driving hotel prices sky high. As an alternative, we will take Mojave Road and turn north toward Ivanpah to stay in Primm. It cuts off a bit of the trail, but it beats dealing with all the drunk people in Laughlin.

Scott
Old 04-07-2016, 02:25 PM   #5

Garage
Hotel rooms booked in Primm for Sat Apr 30th. Looks like there will by many rigs going so far.

Scott
Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

Garage
This trip is coming up soon, who is interested? It was brought to my attention the Mojave Road is actually closed near the East side/Laughlin due to excessive rain washing out a decent chunk of the trail. We won't likely end up that far east since we are staying in Primm, but good to note either way.

Scott
Old 04-21-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
They had some heavy rains a few weeks back and it washed out the trail between the powerline rd (s/o Ft Piute) & Lanfair valley but somebody went in and made it passable for 4x4's. The park service posted signs at both ends but it's OK to drive through it if you feel confident enough to run it. The Soda Lake area was also closed due to water/mud but should be passable provided it doesn't rain. Luckily around Kelso the weather has been in the 80-90 temp range so it might dry out quickly.
I'm looking forward to seeing a trip report from you guys. Some of the higher spots are usually cooler but I'd like to see just how hot that place gets compared to what the weather channel posts.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #8

Garage
We will have plenty to report as there are actually two trips planned with the second one being the weekend of May 13-15. I'm sure it will be warm, but that's what large trans cooler, power steering cooler and air conditioning are all about.

I went through Soda about 3 days after a heavy rain last year and it was very touch and go; very similar to driving on ice.

There will be several 2wd vans along for the trip and a couple of very capable 4x4 rigs.

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
20151023_151517.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #9

Hello
Thinking of joining in. Any count of how many rigs are going? Where will you meet in Barstow and time? Is the plan to be in Primm Saturday night? (I start on call duty at midnight Saturday night)
Thanks
Don
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:57 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dig255 View Post
Hello
Thinking of joining in. Any count of how many rigs are going? Where will you meet in Barstow and time? Is the plan to be in Primm Saturday night? (I start on call duty at midnight Saturday night)
Thanks
Don
Don,

We are looking at about 8 rigs minimum. The plan is to meet at the del taco in barstow off the lenwood exit at 9am. Please indicate Saturday morning if you (or any others) are on your way so I know to look for you. My number is 310-809-2570.

We are staying in Primm Saturday night at the Primm Valley Resort and taking dirt back Sunday. Cheaper rooms are available at whiskey Petes and buffalo bills.

Scott