Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #11

Garage
Re: Mojave Trail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvrr
If you removed a tire from the van and set it on the ground vertically, it is not going to exert as much force on the ground as when it was on the vehicle.
Yvrr, you're definitely right: force on the ground will be much different.
But pressure under the wheel will stay the same: the inflated pressure... ;-)
(excepted the approximation due to tire structure which is not indefinitely flexible...)
You just confuse force (weight) and pressure...

Old 12-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

The first part of the run was great but other than my Go-Pro camera, I didn't take the time to shoot any pics until coming into Afton Cyn.

As soon as we reached the wet section of the Mojave River the trail became less sandy. Soon we reached the RR tracks.

And the worst part of the run wasn't the sand. Although these look like RR communication lines, the top circuit is a high voltage line that appeared to range in a voltage of between 4-12kV. As we were driving along it I commented about the transformers using 12kV bushings and cutout fuses.

The communication line were so low my Yakima pod almost hit the communication lower circuit. I had to ask Don to spot for me and snap a picture.

When I said I was going to back up to where the lines were their closest he yelled to stop. My CB antenna was a bit too close the high voltage lines...not good. Even 2.1 kV would ruin your day.

Kind of a fuzzy picture of leaving the trail to stay at the CG for the night.

Now that I know a bit more about the trail I'm planning to go back...maybe in a couple of weeks.

Dave

A site link:
Mojave Trail

A full trip report
Attached Thumbnails
001 mod.png   005 mod.png   007 mod.png   010 Mod.png   012.JPG  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #13

I had to bail on the western end for similar reasons once.

YMMV; somebody's "no problem" trail can be epic depending on lots of factors.

Those dry lakes in the Mojave can be a total nightmare when wet; I've seen people stuck to the hubs. Part had firmed up, like wet sand, but part became virtual quicksand. The problem was that the first guys through had a very difficult time spotting the problem. Not so for followers

And the sand. The Mojave Desert has had a bunch of dry years. And users seem to be getting concentrated in fewer areas. And bikes, ATVs, UTVs, 4x4 (and SMBs) keep getting bigger and more powerful. Seems like SO many trails that used to be easy are now all whooped up. Even my dirtbike friends have had it. That makes it way tougher for us. And even when not whooped the sand is churned, hence softer, and more of that light awful stuff is drifting around. There are roads out near Randsburg we used to do in station wagons that are now a challenge for a sand rail. Sheesh.

Maybe a year of two of big wet will get things back to a better state. The ranger at Red Rocks, who grew up out there, says overall the Mojave is the driest he's ever seen.

Rob
Old 01-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Well Rob, maybe I made the right call after all. You could see that even the dirt bikes were digging deep into the sand and yes it was churned up in many spots. I just didn't know what was ahead and the rains were heavy overnight.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #15

We will be up for the Mojave Road in March or April. On our previous trip we learned to stay off the soda lake near Baker. Anybody want to convoy?
daytona323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytona323
We will be up for the Mojave Road in March or April. On our previous trip we learned to stay off the soda lake near Baker. Anybody want to convoy?
Sounds good, let me know the date.
dig
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

Garage

Crossed soda lake (Baker to ZZYZX) yesterday on the way back from Vegas. My buddy was dying to test out his new suspension (3.5" lift, King shocks, Teraflex bump stops, 35" tires) . Lake was dry and firm, no problem. There's not much to see on that stretch so if it was me I would start the trail from Baker.