Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 01:44 AM   #1
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Montana Roadtrip

Wife and I headed up to Montana (rockies zone) the last week of July into August for 10 days (well you know one 10 hours any direction to get to decent camping/views/boondocking from Iowa). Thanks to the Forum, had a couple of reports we noted and did that turned into GREAT experiences!! Wyoming is great but our first day adventure started west of Tetons/Jackson Hole when we started on the Gravelly Road (I of coarse pronounced it like gravel instead of rhyming it with 'jelly' as I learned was the correct way)...the Gravelly was AWESOME and reminded me quite a lot of the Dempster....you're traveling on the tops of mountains most of the time, and if not in vast stretches of hay fields, but always in view of mountains...and the boondocking was great too....many places marked for camping along the way...or a fire pit...we DID get lost and ended up WAY south of our intended destination, Dillon...we missed two 'right' turns and ended up on some B/rutted roads even more desolate than the Gravelly...came out at Monida at the Southern border with Idaho...crazy and fun (get a better map than standard Atlas to really find your way on those roads)...THe Gravelly is a MUST for any SMB'r...seriously! We then headed up to the NW corner by Yaak...a let down....beautiful but little to no camping possibilities...Then we headed for a VERY REMOTE campsite called Moose Lake, west of Glacier...only bad part was the 15-20 miles of washboard (which I tried the 35-40 mph method as first heard here) and crusied over that nightmare part of the road...we were rewarded with a lake to ourselves...not counting the deer and two Osprey fishing! Speaking of, it was great fun-fishing (rainbow were 5-six inches they were fun to catch and let go)...the best part was the PRIVACY!! Funny GPS story...on the way to get back to 93 we decided to try to get another way out...enter GPS...and yes it was twenty-some miles less, and no washboard, but we ended up on some forrest road on the side of a mountain that nobody had been on in weeks/months maybe years...great views but the old 2 hours to get 29 miles!! On the way back south/home we dug for crystals at Crystal Park (N of Elkhorn hot springs)...$5 parking and a chance to find cool crystals...shovels, bucket, fun! Found some great specimens and went later in day so had park pretty much to ourselves...boondocked off the road, then hit Ruby Reservoir the next day to look for Garnets on the banks...found some great ones there too...they said you can/usually find very little stones a carat or less...we did and I happened to find a 138 carat garnet too!!!!...yes...I'd rather be lucky than good! Anyway, a blast that we will be repeating again! Though next time we are panning for gold too!!! I will try to put up as many pics as I can...hope you all enjoy...AND SMB's RULE!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4631.jpg   IMG_4655 (3).jpg   IMG_1658 (1).jpg  

ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
ctb

Garage
Re: Montana Roadtrip

Here are some more pics of the adventure!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4703.jpg   IMG_2939.jpg   IMG_4935.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 02:11 AM   #3
ctb

Garage

Just a few more!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4986.jpg   IMG_1749.jpg   IMG_4769.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 02:17 AM   #4
ctb

Garage

OK,I don't know how to get them on all one post like our dear friend Pshitt!! But here are a few more!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1632.jpg   IMG_4745.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 02:29 AM   #5
ctb

Garage

Just a couple more..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5105 (1).jpg   IMG_1695.jpg   IMG_4675.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 05:12 AM   #6

Enjoyed your trip report. We really love it over in that area. Our break-in trip on our SMB was from Red Rock Preserve to the Ruby via the Beaverhead-Deerlodge Forrest. Eventually we want to go back to hit the Gravelly section.

I've seen quite a few black bears this year but no Grizzly outside of the Park. Where did you run into that fella?

Any truth to the 35-40 mph on washboard? I know washboard is never fun but it's really painful in our SMB? Not sure if thats something with ours in particular or if that just nature of the beast.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:04 AM   #7

Lower tire pressure is key to comfort on rough roads.
30-35psi would help greatly.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:09 AM   #8

Thanks Carl. I actually just killed 35 minutes reading old threads on the subject. We spend a lot of time on gravel so I'm going to start playing with air pressures. Man I love this resource.

Sorry for the thread hijack CTB.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:15 AM   #9
ctb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdonkey
Thanks Carl. I actually just killed 35 minutes reading old threads on the subject. We spend a lot of time on gravel so I'm going to start playing with air pressures. Man I love this resource.

Sorry for the thread hijack CTB.
No worries!! My tire pressure was 60-65 psi on all four, traveling 35-40 mph...it made it feel/sound as if I was on a normal HWY but riding the wake-up bumps on the shoulder...didn't like it but was better than the slow jarring and pain I had to be causing Sporty! Thanks for the replies! Oh yeah, the Grizz was on RT 287 by Sheridan...thank goodness two ladies were stopped taking pics....OUTSIDE the vehicle! Not that i'm scared (yeah right)...but I like our SMB bear cage to take pics in!
Old 08-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

Great trip report. Thanks for the tip on Gravelly. I found this:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/scenic-dri ... -range.php

and added it to my list of places to explore.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote