Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #21

I enjoyed this report thoroughly. Thanks for sharing.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:54 AM   #22

To reiterate what others have said, great trip report!

There is sooo much to explore. Have always wondered about the east shore of Bahia de Conception...
Lots of discussion on this, but agree your air down pressure was pretty low for rocky areas..

The highway 5 upside-down was probably pretty fresh. We went thru there northbound April 4 and that wreck was not there.....ouch. Puzzling it would happen with all those miles of washout destruction on 5...

One rather nice refresh spot about 13 miles northeast of the Mexicali east crossing is a BLM hotspring (115 and I10 intersect) with camping just a mile south of the springs in the dunes....A nice pre post baja stop....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #23

stop leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Evidently I jumped the gun with my earlier post, didnt realize you were adding so much more...Enjoyed all of your trip. Now I'm also curious to hear if the Stop Leak actually worked?
Thanks, Twoxentrix! Yeah, I had little expectation of success from that stop leak stuff - but it did actually seem to slow the dripping for a couple days. The biggest issue I hear is that stop-leak may gum up other parts of the cooling system.

Then a week after getting home, I started the van to take it to the mechanic, and the coolant was gushing out.

-- Geoff
Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigriver View Post
Thanks Geoff... another great trip report! Mind sharing what mapping software and map you were using for this trip?

Joe
I'm currently using some obscure Windows software from Russia called SAS.Planet, running on my Microsoft Surface 3 Pro.

https://sasplanet.ru/

It's a bit tricky to figure out, but facilitates downloading map tiles (I use Bing satellite images, and my own INEGI Mexican topographic maps) from the web for offline display.

If you want more details, I can make an in-depth write-up.

-- Geoff
Old 04-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #25

Incredible trip and your description and pictures were fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:54 PM   #26

Garage
Nice trip report, thanks for sharing!
Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM   #27

Garage
Wow, great trip report, you are quite adventurous to do all this solo, looks like it was a lot of fun.
nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #28

This seemed like a great trip, even with the few issues. Thank you for taking the time to write all of this up and share it here. Many people will find this to be interesting and useful information. I appreciate it.
exp for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:27 PM   #29

What an amazing journey, absolutely amazing how well its all documented and pictured!

Keep up the amazing work, Me & my wife are getting our Van build and planning on a trip this summer to Baja (inspired by you and had a question we have a 2008 Ford E350 RWD will that make this trip that you did impossible or much more difficult?
DanWiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWiser View Post
What an amazing journey, absolutely amazing how well its all documented and pictured!

Keep up the amazing work, Me & my wife are getting our Van build and planning on a trip this summer to Baja (inspired by you and had a question we have a 2008 Ford E350 RWD will that make this trip that you did impossible or much more difficult?

Thanks, Dan With 2WD, you should be able to get to (or at least near to) many of the places I visited in Baja.

Driving on the soft dry sand of the beaches won't be possible, though. But you can often camp right before the sand. Tracks to beaches are often hard dirt until just before the beach. Dry sandy washes, again, might not be passable. And you won't be driving to the Palomar hot spring.

-- Geoff

Tags
baja, baja california