Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #21

Re: My Big Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
It doesn't look or sound to me like he was ever in 4-wheel drive.
From the looks of the pictures it would seem that way. I'd expect one of the front tires to dig in a little but I don't see the same "tire spin" mud on the front left tire pic that you can see in the back.

tonyvoudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:06 AM   #22
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Posted these up in another thread, thought I'd share them here too, haven't used them yet, but they get pretty good reviews and are 1/2 $$ of Maxtrax. Found them at slee off-road, but you can get them here too.
http://www.sierraexpeditions.com/index. ... il&p=12721

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere before, but another method of getting unstuck from sand with no anchor points is to bury your spare with your winch line attached, works great, but of course you'll need a winch or you can use your high lift jack with a tow strap.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 AM   #23

Garage

Good thing there wasn't a high tide that night or you might have faced something similar to this...

[youtube:3enrsbbf]
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #24

That was intense... great video!
My room mate had a similar experience when he got his jeep stuck in the sand below the high tide line at the north end of the beach at Pta San Francisquito about 20years ago... Lots of people pushing but it was lowering the tire pressure to about 5 psi that ultimately popped him up out of the ruts and let him get enough momentum to make it back down the beach and up above the high timeline. It was 'exciting' watching him loose it as the Sea of Cortez started filling in under his jeep...
Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #25

Been there, done that! I never leave home without my recovery tracks a must have for beach and winter off roading.[attachment=0]2013-04-25 17.57.15.
Attached Thumbnails
2013-04-25 17.57.15.jpg   Bahia Asuncion 2013.jpg  
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #26

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffff
The goal was to get the rear axle out of the mud. The full power of my v10 wouldn't make the axle budge when it was buried down in the thick muck. The traction of the MaxTrax under the front wheels was amazing -- those wheels didn't spin even at full throttle! Just no vehicle movement.
-- Geoff
This doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying your rear wheels were turning but your front were not?
No -- with the rear wheels in the mud down to the axle, and the fronts completely on the MaxTrax, and in 4x4 high (hubs locked), and front ARB diff-lock engaged, transmission in reverse -- I got no spin at full throttle. Fronts and rears stayed still.

Now that I think about it, I should have tried 4-low in that situation for more torque. And thinking back I think I might have tried, but I think I couldn't get the levers to easily shift with the driveshafts all bound up with torque, and I didn't want to get stuck in 4-neutral.

Earlier, when I had the MaxTrax just tucked in under the front wheels -- only 5 inches or so, I did get some wheel spin. But I tried to keep that to a minimum, as MaxTrax explicitly warns don't spin your wheels.

-- Geoff
Old 03-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyvoudy
Quote:
It doesn't look or sound to me like he was ever in 4-wheel drive.
From the looks of the pictures it would seem that way. I'd expect one of the front tires to dig in a little but I don't see the same "tire spin" mud on the front left tire pic that you can see in the back.
I wasn't in 4x4 at first (yes I feel foolish), so the rears dropped into the mud and the fronts didn't. But later when I was in 4x4 and I tried stuffing the MaxTrax under the fronts, they did spin, but I only let them do so for a second or two.

Wen I dug out the front wheels a bit to stuff the MaxTrax in there, they ended up at a 30-degree angle, not flat on the ground. Not great. I ended up jacking up the front wheels to get the MaxTrax completely under the wheels. You can see the MaxTrax if you click on this photo:

-- Geoff
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #28

Well, I did get myself foolishly in the mud again in a very similar situation later on in my trip -- taking a little shortcut around a construction site for a road over a "dry" lakebed, but this time I switched into 4x4 before I spun my wheels down axle deep. I managed to get moving again in minutes by tucking my MaxTrax under the front wheels, and used momentum & 4x4 to plow myself (deep tracks) a long way back to dry dirt. Messy, but easy & quick extraction.

-- Geoff
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
By any chance did you try putting it in 4 low? And airing down? You've certainly got some stories from this trip down.
4-Low might have helped. With the rear axle inches deep in clay mud, it didn't budge a bit in 4-High.

Yes I generally air down a bunch in sand, and it works great when I get bogged down. In this case I was already down to 35 PSI for washboard roads, and no, I didn't try airing down further to sand PSIs.

-- Geoff
Old 03-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Hi-lift off road base...
Wouldn't have been enough in my situation. I was stuffing rocks as big as 20" (the largest I could find and roll) long under the jack, and they still got propelled down into the muck.

-- Geoff