Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 09:10 AM   #11

Re: Need a little advice on S. Cal and Ca./Or. Coast

My advice for camping on the beach in January in California is to go farther south to Baja California Sur and camp on the Sea of Cortez.

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #12

Quote:
US 101 veers away from the coast for a hundred or so miles and access is by more minor roads.
Yes, 101 is inland for the whole 260+ miles from San Francisco to Eureka. To drive the coast you need to go up Hwy 1 from Marin Co. to Ft. Bragg. Then 1 goes inland to join 101. From just above Ft. Bragg you can drive the Lost Coast on the Usal Rd. to Shelter Cove and then up through Petrolia to Ferndale.

Quote:
My advice for camping on the beach in January in California is to go farther south to Baja California Sur and camp on the Sea of Cortez.
Sure, the weather in Cabo is great in Jan. but I'll take pouring rain over headless bodies on the side of the road and army check point shakedowns any day.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
Yes, 101 is inland for the whole 260+ miles from San Francisco to Eureka. To drive the coast you need to go up Hwy 1 from Marin Co. to Ft. Bragg. Then 1 goes inland to join 101. From just above Ft. Bragg you can drive the Lost Coast on the Usal Rd. to Shelter Cove and then up through Petrolia to Ferndale.
You are correct. It was late and I was thinking State Route 1 and incorrectly typed US 101. Thanks for correcting my mistake.
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #14

OK, so it looks like my options for camping on the coast will be Cold and Wet or Wet and Cold. So we've decided that well just stick to D-Land and south of there for about a week and a couple of days driving on either end. We'll leave January 28th, arrive the 30th and leave the 4th or 5th.

Baja would be awesome but it's not going to happen, hopefully we'll find some decent weather in Ca. I've done the Vancouver B.C. to Fontana or National City drive at least 200 times so I'm aware of the winter conditions on I-5, chaining up for slush on Mt Ashland, Tule Fog in the valley, etc.

So now we want to camp near D- Land and maybe near a beach for 3 or 4 nights. Not oposed to moving around a bit. My girls are 4,6&8 so it's still a lot about Princesses as far as Disney is concerned. Any recomendations on campgrounds?

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-02-2011, 06:12 AM   #15
Site Team

Our favorite is So. Carlsbad State Beach, obviously just South of Carlsbad, California. We have spent a week camping there each May for 15 years. They have showers, restrooms, a camp store and the campsites are on a bluff overlooking the beach. We see dolphins swimming there all the time.

Here's a picture pre-Sportsmobile when we used out tent trailer to camp.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

I would highly recommend San Elijo State beach. Its about 5 minutes south of Carlsbad. Overlooks the ocean, and Encinitas is walking distance (easy walk), nice shops and dine in restaurants. Also close to Lego Land if the girls are interested.

This was our camp site:

A View from our campsite.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #17

Well, we were just offered free accomodation for as long as we like in Murietta Hot Springs, so we will not be camping after all. Now the plan is to do day trips from there. I see that Anza Borrego State Park is very close by and mentioned frequently on this site.

So if a person had 2 days at D Land and 1 day each to see a little bit of the following, where would one go?

Anza Borrego

So. Cal Beach

One more suggestion

Thanks, Bob
Old 01-09-2011, 12:02 AM   #18
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver350
Well, we were just offered free accomodation for as long as we like in Murietta Hot Springs, so we will not be camping after all. Now the plan is to do day trips from there. I see that Anza Borrego State Park is very close by and mentioned frequently on this site.

So if a person had 2 days at D Land and 1 day each to see a little bit of the following, where would one go?

Anza Borrego

So. Cal Beach

One more suggestion

Thanks, Bob
I try to see a different bit of Anza Borrego every chance I get these days.. the last trip was Little Blair Valley.

I usually head out from my buddy's place near Murietta Hot Springs/ Temecula and take 79 towards Anza Borrego..
Usually take highway 79 to S2
If you never been to the Anza Borrego area, I'd start with Borrego Springs and head to Font's Point..for some nice pics then from there explore a few known places nearby if you have more time. 79 will connect to to S2 and then take S22 to small town of Borrego Springs.. You can then head back to S2 or S22 and explore more sites or connect up to 78 and explore the ocotillo wells area.

Might want to Google (Font's Point, Truckhaven, Superstition, Blair Valley, Ocotillo) or check out this link:
http://www.desertusa.com/anza_borrego/a ... erest.html
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #19

NRL:

That is very helpfull, thanks.