Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2007, 10:38 PM   #1

Nevada, Utah, Arizon, California Trip

We recently took a trip from Reno to Zion, then off to Lake Powell, and back home through Death Valley and Bishop, California. I am writing up a trip report in www.expeditionportal.com About 2300 miles, and the van worked fine.

My favorite place was Zion. We went there about a year ago. I've always liked Yosemite, but this is like Yosemite without the crowds.

I posted a few pics on the album here on this forum.

here is the link to the trip report: http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9389

cobblecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 AM   #2

Thanks for the link. I've wanted to check out Zion for a few years and will try and get there sometime in 2008. I see you have MTBs on the back of your SMB. Is there good riding near Zion? My assumption is that there are few or no MTB trails in the park itself, but maybe in the surroundnig area.
Rob
Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 AM   #3

Garage
You NEED to get down there and ride. Yes, no riding in the park itself but literally just outside the park you have some world class mtn biking. Gooseberry/Little Creek Mesa are a short drive above Springdale and hands down some of the best camping to boot and you can ride right from the campsite. Also, JEM/Hurricane Rim trails are not to be missed as well and the trailhead is a few minutes out of town.

We usually make it down there 4-6 times a yr to camp/ride. You need to put it on your must-do list

Enjoy

-derek

Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
You NEED to get down there and ride. Yes, no riding in the park itself but literally just outside the park you have some world class mtn biking. Gooseberry/Little Creek Mesa are a short drive above Springdale and hands down some of the best camping to boot and you can ride right from the campsite. Also, JEM/Hurricane Rim trails are not to be missed as well and the trailhead is a few minutes out of town.

We usually make it down there 4-6 times a yr to camp/ride. You need to put it on your must-do list

Enjoy

-derek

Thanks for the info. Now I'm even more anxious to get there. Is the MTB riding year-round? I'd like to hit Zion about now to avoid the crowds and be able to access the park in the SMB.
Rob
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 AM   #5

Garage
you can definitely ride in the area yr round. But depending on how much snow they have seen in southern UT you may have to head down towards St George to ride (@40 minutes and a bit lower in elevation). Gooseberry/Little Creek can/will get some snow but temps rarely get much below 40-45 mid winter, usually hovers in the low 50's

hope this helps

-D
Old 11-25-2007, 09:57 AM   #6

I was just in Zion for the first time this last week (unfortunately in a rental pickup instead of my SMB that was sitting at the Ford dealer in Bishop, CA ... but that's another story).

I managed to steal away a half day to ride Gooseberry Mesa. This is the most amazing MTB riding I've ever done. A very different style of riding than I am use to here in N. California.

As for temperature, it was 17 deg. when I left the house we were renting and 35 deg. by the time I made it up to Gooseberry Mesa. Around 50 deg. by the time I finished the ride. This was perfect riding temperature for this place as far as I'm concerned.

I plan on a return trip to spend a couple nights on the mesa in my SMB. This is the perfect spot for a MTB riding SMB owner!

Phil

- 2005 EB50 6.0PSD - SMB 4x4
pjpvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjpvi
I was just in Zion for the first time this last week (unfortunately in a rental pickup instead of my SMB that was sitting at the Ford dealer in Bishop, CA ... but that's another story).

I managed to steal away a half day to ride Gooseberry Mesa. This is the most amazing MTB riding I've ever done. A very different style of riding than I am use to here in N. California.

As for temperature, it was 17 deg. when I left the house we were renting and 35 deg. by the time I made it up to Gooseberry Mesa. Around 50 deg. by the time I finished the ride. This was perfect riding temperature for this place as far as I'm concerned.

I plan on a return trip to spend a couple nights on the mesa in my SMB. This is the perfect spot for a MTB riding SMB owner!

Phil
I've done some more research on the area and the buzz on Gooseberry Mesa is just as you say. MTB paradise. I'm hopeful that we'll get out there in February. Thanks
Rob