Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #111
Site Team

Re: NorCal Sierra 4x4 Meet (LEAVITT TRAIL WILL BE OPEN)

Dave, maybe some of this news will give you some hope on preventing/reversing closures. The BlueRibbon Coalition does some great work.

----------------------------------------------------

Yesterday, The BlueRibbon Coalition (BRC) filed a complaint against the Federal government to challenge the arbitrary closure of, "Trail 38," a high value single-track motorcycle trail in Wyoming. The BRC Legal Program is representing a local AMA District club and local users in the case. "Though the trail mileage is small, the stakes are high," said J.R. Riggins, a plaintiff in the suit and Wyoming dirt bike rider. "The Forest Service apparently thought it could fly under the radar and close this trail without meaningful analysis or public process. We are calling their bluff," Riggins concluded.

Since 1997, the BRC Legal Program has sprung to action across the nation to challenge arbitrary closures and defend pro-trail agency decisions. BRC's unmatched investment in legal advocacy for access since 1996 has been $1,721,195. Many cases involve defense of attacks from anti-access groups. Some, like Trail 38, are efforts to go "on offense" and establish or restore access opportunities. BRC Legal has represented plaintiffs or filed cross-claims against the agency in at least 14 cases.

BRC Legal has appeared in California 15 times, 9 each for Idaho and Utah, 7 in Wyoming, 5 in Montana or on issues of Nationwide importance like Roadless Rule(s), and 3 or less in the remaining states which include Oregon, Alaska, Colorado, Arkansas, Illinois, North Carolina, Kentucky, and Florida. The methods of access at issue have varied too, with 23 matters involving all forms of wheeled access, 14 focused on over-snow vehicles, 9 covering all motorized access, 5 exclusively 4WD, 3 exclusively ATV, 3 boating or personal watercraft, 3 including equestrian access, and 1 backcountry aviation case.

On multiple occasions BRC Legal has brought jurisdictional challenges to anti-access lawsuits that the Government declined to join, the most notable being in the 2001 SUWA lawsuit where our motion was granted in the district court and eventually became the basis for a 9-0 Supreme Court decision that all but killed a growing "failure to act" litigation strategy.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:47 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
DaveB and his beast

Wow, how in the world did you manage to get a picture of Dave with a beer in his hand? It's such a rare sight.
For a second I thought someone stole my van and took it to the meet.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:21 PM   #113
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
DaveB and his beast

Wow, how in the world did you manage to get a picture of Dave with a beer in his hand? It's such a rare sight.
For a second I thought someone stole my van and took it to the meet.
Yeah but you don't have to keep a beer in your hand... you don't have a 6.0

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #114
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Dave, maybe some of this news will give you some hope on preventing/reversing closures. The BlueRibbon Coalition does some great work.

----------------------------------------------------
Nice find Herb. I will be sending some E-mail their way. Anything to stop some of this insanity. Wait till you read my trip report. The day Don and I went wheeling I was a bit horrified to see so many closed trails. From last year it has spread like wild fire. I can only wonder what it will be like in a few years. These trails have been open for decades and I just don't see the damage. Probably because people like we have in this group pick up behind the idiots who leave stuff behind. If others haven't done this the trails would be littered with debris...and they're not! Rob and Jennifer packed out a bunch of stuff somebody left behind on this trip... Some people do care...

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote