Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM   #1

Northwest most point in the contential US

After being home for over a week, the urge to hit the road again was overwhelming and a quick trip to the beach seemed to be the answer. Our favorite beach campsite is Hobuck beach at Neah bay. If you look at a map of Wa, it's West of Olympic National park, in the far North West corner of the state. Camp spots are within a few yards of the water, so the sounds of the surf are very relaxing. After a couple days there, it was time to move on, but not before winching a guy out of the sand. The entire area is owned by the Makah indian tribe, including miles of logging roads begging to be explored (legaly as long as you purchace a yearly permit from the tribe). Our mapping program showed lots of promising view points, so we set out to find a new campsite with a great view. It took a while, but we finally found the view of the year after driving down a road that pretty much was overgrown and nearly impassable. Still, a few pinstripes never stopped me and we were rewarded with a huge view of the Straights of Juan de Fuca, Vancouver island, and Neah bay. We spent the evening watching cruise ships , tugs and barges, navy vessels, fishing boats, tankers, car carriers, and more traveling in and out of the straights. I'm not sure it was legal to camp where we were, but there was no way anyone was going to find us. The next morning was socked in fog for a couple hours, but then it lifted and we decided to head to Port Townsend to catch the ferry back to Coupeville. All in all, it was a great, but short get away.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4895.jpg   IMG_4919.jpg   IMG_4930.jpg   IMG_4917.JPG   IMG_4915.JPG  

IMG_4910.jpg  

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:45 PM   #2

Awesome area out there!! Lots to explore.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #3

Awesome thx for sharing!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:57 AM   #4

Thanks for sharing! Always been curious about the remote tribal land there.
Supersporttramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Garage
It really looks like a great place to visit. Nice that you enjoyed it buddy!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Beautiful! I've been up the peninsula a number of times on trips and always seem to run out of time before I can make it out there. You've got me thinking about doing it differently the next time.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:40 PM   #7
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
We got to stay on the beach just North of the point/National Mounument (pre SMB days)just after the Tribe won the land back a few years ago...the extra nice Tribe Police guy let us stay, "just one night." We haven't been back but those pics tell me times up! Lol! Thx for the pics/Trip Reports...one of the best parts if not the best part of the site!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_31c.jpg   fullsizeoutput_58.jpg  
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:06 AM   #8

We spent several days camping near Forks (my thumbnail photo to the left is sunset at First Beach in La Push, Washington) this past summer, and I really wanted to go up to the Neah Bay area. Just didn't work out timing-wise, as we had reservations over on Vancouver Island that we had to deal with. Not sure when/if we'll get back with our SMB, as it's a bit of a drive from Pennsylvania! We've been to the most-NE point in Maine, so I wanted to "collect" the NW point, too. Thanks for the photos!
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #9

Same for me, but we were in a motorhome. We camped at Lapush. I really wanted to get up to Neah Bay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 PM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
We spent several days camping near Forks (my thumbnail photo to the left is sunset at First Beach in La Push, Washington) this past summer, and I really wanted to go up to the Neah Bay area. Just didn't work out timing-wise, as we had reservations over on Vancouver Island that we had to deal with. Not sure when/if we'll get back with our SMB, as it's a bit of a drive from Pennsylvania! We've been to the most-NE point in Maine, so I wanted to "collect" the NW point, too. Thanks for the photos!
DOn't forget to make it to the Keys for the Southernmost point!!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote