Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2020, 08:47 PM   #11

Wow guys thanks for all the tips.

PNWVAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:44 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
I would call ahead to confirm that camping is open and allowed. Lots of stuff out on the Olypen is only just opening. If you are going out to the Forks area be aware that the community may not be very welcoming atm. There have been barricades and signs put up locally telling out of towners to go home (Covid-related).
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:53 AM   #13

Garage
We just did this!

So we did reserve a few state park spots and nothing really “off grid” but note that the reservation land is currently closed to non tribal members.

We started in Pacific Beach which was nice and not too busy, but on our way north the kalaloch area looked awesome. We should have stopped and stayed at one of the bleachers. Which is a good jump off place to hit up the hoh too.

From there we stopped at Lake Crescent, Farholm. Pretty nice location and lots of open spots. No reservations needed. I know there are some “off grid” options up there too.

On our way back we hit up fort warden in Port Townsend, and then Fort Flagler (which we should have stayed at). Then down the hood canal into Poulsbo. There is some great DNR/Pope and Talbot land that is solid for boondocking. As others have mentioned it’s active forest land so some could have logging or freshly clear cut.

Lots of great options out there!
NWAvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #14

We just got back from a 3-nighter at Ozette Campground. Not crowded when we arrived on a cloudy Wednesday and backcountry camping was closed, got busier on Friday after they reopened the beaches to overnighters (backcountry permits required!). I was nervous about the 15-site first-come-first-served campground filling up, since there are no other obvious options nearby, but it never quite did. Still, arrive around lunchtime for the best picks.

Moreover, we checked out "Lost Resort" next door, and it seems like a perfectly plausible backup plan, with quite reasonable sites for a private campground.

Didn't see a lot of options for dispersed camping around there, though. In a pinch, you could probably park on Swan Bay Road adjacent to a clear cut. There was one established site there.
AndrewInSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #15

Thanks for all the tips and trip reports.
My wife and I ended having to bail on the trip out to the Coast (pregnant wife did'nt feel like the long drive last weekend). We ended up heading up to Stampede Pass & Lost Lake for a few days and finding some off the grid areas to camp and relax. A lot closer to home.
We are planning to do the Coast trip beginning of September.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:43 AM   #16

How did you find the crowds? I've heard differing reports of over crowding, and other folks finding empty remote sites. With the boom in RV sales, it makes sense, but I'm hoping most of those folks are restricting themselves to organized campgrounds.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #17

Olympic Peninsula loop

We didn’t see anyone the whole weekend where we were. Great secluded spot with pretty easy access.
Old 07-13-2020, 03:55 PM   #18

I’ll try to post some pics later. Was having an issue with them
Old 07-13-2020, 04:01 PM   #19

Garage
Very similar to the way I view the world right now...
Old 07-13-2020, 09:02 PM   #20

If you make it all the way around to Port Townsend they have fun RV hookup sites at the marina on the point:
https://goo.gl/maps/MJf7F28rbpb9jjEa6

Not sure what's up there re> Covid though.

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote