Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #1

Olympic Peninsula WA Summer Tsunami Debri Project

My big project this summer is to record Tsunami debri and other related debri that washes up along one of the last remaining pristine roadless coastlines, The Olympic Coast National Marine Sanctuary. We are working with NOAA, and the Surfrider Foundation and conducting surveys along a 70 nautical mile stretch and using a GTRV as our gear and kayak transporter, communication center and shuttle.
Here is a short vimeo video showcasing the van en route to Cape Flattery WA.
http://vimeo.com/44402119
We are using kayaks to get to remote sections of this coastline.

The Lighthouse on Tatoosh Island which is visible from the hiking trail looms above us as we survey the Islands beach

So far we have found an alarming amount of general plastic and stryofoam at every survey beach!

Some important finds include Japanese lumber and remains of a partial home with bathroom products all the way from Japan. Recently we found a soccer ball
with the Japanese Soccer Club markings on it from city of Itsuchi, where tragically over 800 people perished last year in the tsunami disaster.
Its a fun trip and the Olympic Peninsula is a great destination. I know it well. If you want campsite and travel info let me know
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0493small.jpg   IMG_0651medium.jpg   IMG_0752small.jpg  

4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #2

Re: Olympic Peninsula WA Summer Tsunami Debri Project

Very interesting. I hope none of the debris is from the power plant though!

SInce you seem to know the area well, is that a good place for a paddling tour? Looks beautiful.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
Site Team

Your video, minus the garbage, is my idea of heaven. Wish I could help with the clean-up. Good luck on the project.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #4

We are using a Geiger counter to check for radiation! Nothing to date as tsunami hit and most of the debri washed out in the first 2 days before any reactor problems.
Its a wonderfull place to paddle if you are experienced! Ten foot swells every 8 seconds are common even in summer. Check out Lake Ozette in the Olympic Nat Park for easier paddling and you can hike easily from there to the pacific ocean and even find native american petroglyphs. I used to guide folks for REI here. Camp on the lake, paddle to a campsite and hike a trail to the ocean
Old 07-22-2012, 05:43 PM   #5

I'd like to come up and check it out. What's your schedule for the next couple of Friday and Saturday's?

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #6

ALAS, I'll be stuck next three weeks in the city working. If you want a great place to surf, day hike, I'd check out Neah Bay, the Makan Tribe has a great campground on the west side of the Peninsula right on the beach, its called Hobuck Beach. Then hike out to the overlook for great photography only a mile hike with a view of Tatoosh Island. Then head to Ozette, a small cmapground is right on the lake, and you can paddle and quit ofetn see black bear along the shoreline. Then hike out to the ocean. If you want to camp on the pacific ocean, then you will need a permit throuh the national park service, stop off in Port Angeles to pick it up en route.

Dont think im going back to the coast until September, as its bird breeding, seal and otter pup rearing issues with our surveying. We need a USFW permit for our work which is in process.