Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #1

Oriflamme Canyon and Mason Valley Truck Trail

Did a quick weekend trip out to pinyon mountatin and Oriflamme Canyon in the anza borrego desert. Got a nice campsite with a small creek running next to it.

It was our first trip without Clif and Bemerritt got to test his new land cruiser setup. After getting the pop top set up in less than a minute I got to enjoy a beer while watching him set up his tent...

Ran into a rattlesnake on our hike which was kinda cool.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2090.jpg   DSC_2097.jpg   DSC_2098.jpg   DSC_2106.jpg   DSC_2102.jpg  

DSC_2120.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

We started going up the mason valley truck trail which was a little more difficult than expected. some pretty steep and rocky switchbacks going up the side of the canyon. Unfortunately we got to a tight spot which the van was a little too wide to pass. There is a small chance I could have squeezed by but I was about 6 inches away from a massive boulder on the left side and the right front tire was wedged up against a slick rock wall. Without 4wd I wasn't able to climb high enough on the right side of the trail to get around the boulder. Typically i can use speed and momentum to get make 2wd sufficient in the majority of situations but obviously was not able to in this case. The van was wanting to slide down the wall and into the rock.

I ended up reversing back around 100 yards to a turn around spot. Consequences of trying to squeeze by were to severe. Reversing that far along the side of a mountain was nerve racking to say the least.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2122.jpg   DSC_2125.jpg   DSC_2126.jpg   DSC_2127.jpg   DSC_2124.jpg  

Old 05-01-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

Looks like a wise decision
Marcel Huijser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #4

Video of the van on a steep switchback

https://youtu.be/Km3AjvhBHPI

why do I suck at videos? can't figure out how to get it to embed and not link
Old 05-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #5

Awesome thx for sharing!
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Based on a recommendation from another forum member I also bought and tried out the coleman oven. Worked like a charm and packed flat so it fit right on top of my stove in the same plastic bin.

I also tried out a shower setup for the first time. Got a camplux tankless propane heater and shurflo 12vdc pump. Brought a 20lb propane tank and battery buddy to run it off. The original plan was to throw the inflow tube to the pump in a water jug and run it off that, but given that we found a little fresh water creek we moved the setup to the creek and just ran it from there. Worked like a charm! Many improvements to be made for sure, but it wasn't bad for a test run.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2148.jpg   DSC_2147.jpg   DSC_2141.jpg   DSC_2132.jpg