Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Garage
our 2018 camping season

figured its been a while since I did a trip report. im just going to do this month by month as time permits.

first outing was with the expo folks in and around succor creek in the Owyhee's. this was just a day trip in late jan. funny the route turned out going up a road ive been wanting to explore for camp spots off the beaten path. there was 13 creek crossings. we went in then doubled back through all but 2-3.

we almost bailed out the drive and camped, but the wife wussed out. we now both regret it as it would have been the first time for either of us to camp in January. oh well. we went back first weekend of feb and enjoyed it immensely. couldn't find any fire rings so we made our own and we were rewarded with 2 incredible sunsets and didn't see anyone for 2 days.

the next weekend we met up with the NWOL group out at a place called the wall. another place in the Owyhee desert, yet no where near succor creek.

that's it for jan and feb. next post will start with march

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:01 PM   #2

Garage
Some great photos, and what a sunset! Looks like a fun time.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:09 PM   #3

Garage
march started out with our yearly old dogs road run reunion. theres a big group of us that started snowboarding before boarding was allowed at resorts. our only real option was the backcountry. we all try and get together once a year and ride where most of us learned to snowboard, on the Teton pass.

last weekend of march wife and I went to our favorite preseason spot. this is in Oregon below the oyhwee dam. we very rarely see folks on the same side of the river as us at this location. just how we like it.

a couple weeks later our friends started to get the camp bug. so we showed them our secret spot. weather was a lot warmer this time round and spring was in the air.

the next weekend a friend and I had both picked up crvs and we wanted to see if we could get them stuck. he was successful, I wasn't. the little rigs were surprisingly agile in the mud and snow. we went to a place called boiling springs. sorry, no van content on this daytrip.

the following weekend the wife and I decided to go to leslie gulch in Oregon. the rock formations in this area are amazing.

that's it for march and april. next installment will be may and june
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 02-26-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

Garage
I’ve been to both those places on bike trips but dying to take the van. Did either hit Tudor hot springs? I’m curious if the water is cooler during winter since it flows so far. Thanks for the report. Very motivating to get back there.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #5

Garage
^^^ I think tudor is referred to as 3 forks. definitely a warm springs. warmest water I could find was 96 degrees. that's a completely different area though. leslie gulch and succor creek are right up against Idaho.

the springs pictured at called snivley hot springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Some great photos, and what a sunset! Looks like a fun time.

tyvm! the sunsets that weekend were amazing. its hard not to post the hundreds of pix I took that trip, lol.
Old 02-27-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

Looks awesome amigo. Is it me or is that a giant mutant bunny rabbit?
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #7

Garage
^^^ Had been a while since I saw a jackrabbit and thought the same thing, but apparently that’s average for the area. Next size up is the jackalope. Those ones are a little harder to spot
Old 03-06-2019, 05:50 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage
Nice trip. Those are some cool rock formations. I've yet to get up that way but maybe one of these days.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote