Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #1

Overland Expo 2018

Fort Tuthill Park in Flagstaff again this year. I had a good time roaming around then mountain biking last time and will go ahead this year as well. Might bring a dirt bike too and see more places up in the woods.

Sent Wil at Smb West to reserve a space at the SMB Village to avoid being crammed in with the masses like last year. Might even put a for sale sign on the van as a lot of people we asking. Right price might take it.

Anyway put this on your calendars for May 18 through 20. I emailed OX staffers and requested more showers, food trucks, bar facilities, and a better way to get the non payers to pay up when they come in. Fair is fair.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #2

This will be our first time to OE & the Flagstaff area. We were considering bringing the MTN bikes, but weren't sure if we would be able to get out for a ride or two. We will be camping at OE for the 3 days. Are there trails we can ride from the camping area, or will we have to drive somewhere? I would say we are at the low end of intermediate level as far as the technical stuff. Also, some of the classes I'm signed up for look to be spread out a bit and I was wondering if I could get away with riding my bike to the class, if I could find a place to lock it up?
Old 03-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
This will be our first time to OE & the Flagstaff area. We were considering bringing the MTN bikes, but weren't sure if we would be able to get out for a ride or two. We will be camping at OE for the 3 days. Are there trails we can ride from the camping area, or will we have to drive somewhere? I would say we are at the low end of intermediate level as far as the technical stuff. Also, some of the classes I'm signed up for look to be spread out a bit and I was wondering if I could get away with riding my bike to the class, if I could find a place to lock it up?
It's a very short walk from the camping area to pretty much anything at the venue but you could easily ride a bike as well.

There's trails as well as a bike park at Tuthill. Soldier's, Bridge, and Highland trails all make for nice intermediate loop options without too much climbing. Trails | Coconino

If you want a really nice out and back ride with a cherry stem the new connector to Rogers Lake is pretty sweet. http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/DocumentCenter/View/51768
http://coconino.az.gov/DocumentCenter/View/12418

A very short drive (you could also pedal) is the Flagstaff Loop trail and multiple options using Arizona trail. I recommend dropping down Skunk Canyon from L. Mary Rd to connect to the loop trail and return on the AZ trail via Fisher Point. http://www.arcgis.com/apps/OnePane/b...193110a6676abc

If anyone wants to check out the advanced riding in Dry Lake Hills/Mt Elden areas I would be more than happy to go on a group ride. Expect 2000' + climbing. Or, something fun would be to shuttle out to FS418 and ride AZ trail back to town. That's 18 miles with 1000' of climbing and 2500' of descending through alpine meadows, bristlecone pines, aspens and the ponderosa forest. About as close to riding in Colorado as AZ can get. https://www.trailforks.com/region/fl...1&m=trailforks
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:55 AM   #4

I'd be in for a group ride!
JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #5

Not this year sadly.

Is a little far from Germany.
'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetubi View Post
Not this year sadly.

Is a little far from Germany.
Come on buddy Lufthansa will let you parachute out over flagstaff for an extra $50 euros
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Fort Tuthill Park in Flagstaff again this year. I had a good time roaming around then mountain biking last time and will go ahead this year as well. Might bring a dirt bike too and see more places up in the woods.

Sent Wil at Smb West to reserve a space at the SMB Village to avoid being crammed in with the masses like last year. Might even put a for sale sign on the van as a lot of people we asking. Right price might take it.

Anyway put this on your calendars for May 18 through 20. I emailed OX staffers and requested more showers, food trucks, bar facilities, and a better way to get the non payers to pay up when they come in. Fair is fair.
Is your dirt bike a dual sport? And is there riding close by where you can ride out from camp? Do you know if dogs are allowed on leash or if you saw any in the past
Old 03-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post

What will you get if you sell van if you don’t mind me askin
Old 03-15-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

Won’t be going as of now. If I do make it there will not have either bike as just had hand surgery and won’t be able to ride by then. Shit. This van would bring about 90k with all the upgrades and low miles. Sitting on it for now. As Joe says lots of good MTB rides right from camp. Did a couple last year.

Think we will be up on the north rim of the Grand camping and exploring and might make it to Flag on Friday or Saturday. Wife does work remote and that will have a bearing.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #10

I had this on my calendar, but my youngest is graduating from CSU San Marcos on Saturday, the last of three college graduations

I wouldn't miss that for the world

Maybe next year