Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #51

Re: Overland Expo

The Overland Expo was interesting. The exhibits were quite heavy on "put a tent on my vehicle/trailer." We have a PH so were not in that market. Lots of Sportsmobiles showed up in all their glory. Exhibitors and attendees were great to chat with as each had a little different spin on their vision for the outdoor life. We camped at the very back of the huge meadow and it was amazing to watch it fill up with such a variety of camping styles. The obsticle course was fun to watch as vehicles traversed steep hills, off-set mounds, and crossed a log bridge.

Attached Thumbnails
img_0850.jpg   img_0849.jpg   img_0842.jpg  

JJSporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #52
Site Team

We need a lot more pictures. Come on guys! Post em up!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #53
Site Team

Lots of really, really big rigs (some with prices that make new SMBs seem like a bargain) and some neat campers (some well into the 5 figures). Saw Chris (U joint) there too after his marathon driving session with his van sporting his new roof rack.

Didn't take many since I only had about 6 hours there.

Herb
Old 05-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
No interior pics, sorry.
Herb
Oh my gosh, in their haste to have something for OE, it looks like they put the house on the Fuso backward, or else they wanted it more aerodynamic in reverse than going forward. Maybe the direction you want it to face is an option on the build sheet?
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #55

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotearms
Oh my gosh, in their haste to have something for OE, it looks like they put the house on the Fuso backward, or else they wanted it more aerodynamic in reverse than going forward. Maybe the direction you want it to face is an option on the build sheet?
That's the open position, looks like this when collapsed. I expected it resemble an Earthcruiser, this is way different.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #56
Site Team

Yeah, I guess the living room raises up then moves forward into the stowed position. They did not demonstrate that at least when I was there. Without any real insight, I would think that's a lot of mechanics to move that thing around. Not sure how much, if any, space is accessible when the living space is in the forward/stowed position.

Herb
Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #57

The last pic makes it clearer, but Herb makes a good point about all the mechanics that have to work to pull off the concept. Also all those joints/seams need to be able to keep water and dust from getting in. Reminds me of a comment someone once made about SMB still trying to figure out how to mount an awning. . .
Electrical: 4 cf fridge, nuker, water heater, compressor
Propane: stove top, furnace Travel: https://www.lugnutlife.wordpress.com
coyotearms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #58
Site Team

I will say that SMB's disclaimer when I was talking to their rep was, that this was a prototype that was put together in 5 weeks. I would guess a lot of R&D to come before it comes to market.

The interior was fairly typical SMB-like, though I do recall the one rep mentioning a full height shower (w/commode?) that collapses down to counter height.

Herb
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #59

It looks alot like a Hi-Lo camping trailer. Lo for towing, Hi for camping. Upper part extends out and up.

One on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-Tra ... 3cc650f9b1

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #60

Here's a some pics of various rigs. I only made it out for a couple of hours. I didn't meet any forum regulars but it was nice to chat with Johnny and Alan from SMB and the great folks at Aluminess, esp Kenny. Picked up a handle pull for my gray water tank and some LED bulbs. Otherwise, it was gazing and gawking.
Attached Thumbnails
EXPO8.jpg   EXPO7.jpg   EXPO6.jpg  
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote