Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #21

Unfortunately, an unplanned family matter has come up so I won't be able to attend. I have camping passes for 2 people and a vehicle pass. I would take whatever $ I can recover, but ultimately don't want the ticket to go to waste and would like a forum member to go. If you would like to go, pls PM me.

Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 03:31 PM   #22

Garage
Smoker - your post would have been timed perfectly two days ago. Now I'm really bummed!!! I would have taken those off your hands immediately - and would gladly have paid your original outlay
Prior engagement cancelled this past Saturday but when I checked I discovered there were no more passes available. UNFORTUNATELY I committed to something else yesterday
Old 11-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Smoker - your post would have been timed perfectly two days ago. Now I'm really bummed!!! I would have taken those off your hands immediately - and would gladly have paid your original outlay
Prior engagement cancelled this past Saturday but when I checked I discovered there were no more passes available. UNFORTUNATELY I committed to something else yesterday
Definitely a bummer. If plans change let me know. I have someone interested in one vehicle and one weekend ticket. But I’d rather not have an orphan ticket. If I do end up with one remaining weekend ticket I will update this post.

Thanks

Greg
Old 11-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
Unfortunately, an unplanned family matter has come up so I won't be able to attend. I have camping passes for 2 people and a vehicle pass. I would take whatever $ I can recover, but ultimately don't want the ticket to go to waste and would like a forum member to go. If you would like to go, pls PM me.
Sprincent Van Gogh has a buddy looking for tickets I'm going to send him your way
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #25

Thanks everyone for sending guys my way about the passes. I was able to sell the vehicl pass and one weekend pass. If interested, let me know.

Thanks,

Geg
Old 11-10-2018, 06:43 PM   #26

Show report. I put this on the Expedition Portal forum also.

It was a muddy effing mess. We bought 3 day passes and were able to get in on Friday, but had to park in a muddy mess of a lot at the Brewing Company. It rained all day at the site and the mud was 4" to 6" deep everywhere. The grass will take years to recovery. You couldn't tour any rigs because no one wanted that much mud in their rig and I don't blame them. We tried to go back on Saturday but after trying to park at the Brevard Music Center and seeing at least 1,000 people waiting to check in or catch the bus, they told us we needed to go to the Community College and try to park there. After getting in line for the bus pickup, they came by and said it would be at least an hour before we could get on the bus. So, roughly 3 hours total just to get to the show. We said to heck with it and drove up in the mountains to see the sights. What a joke. A lot of money for nothing. I feel sorry for the vendors who also paid good money to display there wares and the customers can't even get in the show. They clearly need a new venue with a paved display area and nearby parking. Perhaps the NC State Fairgrounds or something like that. I am at least relieved that we didn't spend even more money for the camping as you are clearly stuck there for the weekend and if it doesn't dry up, you may be there for a couple more days. Might be fun to watch the vendors try to get out on Sunday afternoon though if it's still muddy. We will try to get in again on Sunday, but not that optimistic.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:06 PM   #27
tlg

Garage
We arrived at the camping entrance on Fri after driving for 8 hours. Were denied entry. No explanation or other information provided. We were just waved along like we didn't belong. It was already dark.

First priority was to find a camp site. Pushed up the road to a series of trailheads only to discover that those were closed at 10:00 and no overnight parking allowed. They had cables across the entrance and it appeared those were going to get locked. By this point there were 5 rigs following us. Every one of us in the same situation.

Went to another "campground" that showed up on our gps only to discover that was closed.

Then drove to Wal Mart. It was quickly turning into the offsite camping area. We settled in for the night.

A couple of hours later someone started knocking on our window. It was the Brevard Police. We were not allowed to park overnight and would have to move along. They were nice and professional about it. The officers fully understood our predicament and offered directions to another lot.

Arrived at that location and again settled in. Woke up the next day knowing we'd have to make a decision on whether or not to make a second attempt at camping. Well, that decision became easy after hearing about on site conditions. We bailed.

What a disappointment. This event was clearly mismanaged with zero contingency planning. The volunteer that waved me away without a word "spoke" volumes to that. Needless to say, I won't be attending another expo.

Have requested a full refund via info@overlandexpo.com. Separately, will dispute the charge with our credit card company. Will let everyone know how that turns out.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #28

Garage
For what I'm sure all perceived to be a fun weekend venue, that surely went south - Sorry to hear the experience was so disappointing. I've been upset I was missing the opportunity, but as it seems this one worked in my favor.
Hopefully everyone managed to salvage the weekend with other activities.

* would be nice if they refunded whatever you put into your reservation - good luck with that.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #29
tlg

Garage
Makes smaller van rallies and meet-ups much more appealing. Will be coordinating the Spring 2019 meet up soon. If anyone has ideas on how to make that better let me know. Will start another thread but feel free to pm me.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #30

Sorry to hear about the Expo this year. I have been to two Expos, the monsoon at Taylor Ranch and the first year at Biltmore. I only attended one day at each, and did not think it was enough time to fully immerse in the experience.

Anyhow, I thought the first year they had at Biltmore was fantastic. The weather was good, so perhaps that factors in my perception. But I thought they had things well organized with busses/logistics, and there was alot of room to work with. Beautiful grounds, of course.

I hope they continue Expo East, but they need to have a venue that is suitable should foul weather arrive. Maybe they could hold the event at a time of year that has a better chance at good weather.
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote