Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2015, 07:59 AM   #81

Garage
Re: Overland Expo in Flagstaff May 15-17

Vendors, you get to camp in the forest, customers you get to camp in a cow pie filled lake. Went once, never again.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:09 AM   #82
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
Vendors, you get to camp in the forest, customers you get to camp in a cow pie filled lake. Went once, never again.

You know the funny thing is most venders did camp in the cow pie or a hotel. The few with vehicles most of them did not want to mess them up so they did the same.

With that said yes I will admit I was in a really nice spot and had planned to be out in the pie but had my arm twisted to move.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #83

We camped at Pine Grove Campground on Lake Mary Rd., about 5 miles from the expo. Lots of trees, fire rings, cool little barbeques, flushing toilets and showers, very clean. $22/night + $8/night for an extra vehicle.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:36 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Adding to the pics and, in this case, the license plate says it all

Don
Don, there's a guy on Expo with that handle. I bet that's him. Either way, fitting tag for the weekend.

Thanks for the pics!

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 AM   #85
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by rionapo
Adding to the pics and, in this case, the license plate says it all

Don
Don, there's a guy on Expo with that handle. I bet that's him. Either way, fitting tag for the weekend.

Thanks for the pics!

That's also the name of what I believe is the largest Land Cruiser forum. I hung out over there when we had our FJ60 (with a Chevy V8).

Herb
Old 05-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapatio
It's elk schmit. Not cow pies. You guys have these jacked up 4x4s. Would you rather have the show on pavement? They do call it Mormon Lake... they weren't kidding. No Mormons though...
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #87

Garage
Overland Expo in Flagstaff May 15-17

All I can say is that me and my 4yr old had a ball this weekend down at the Expo, mud, snow and all.... Pretty entertaining watching all of the 'posers' hightail it out of there when things started getting slick and messy to keep their precious rigs clean. We have these big rigs to go out and get them dirty right??

We camped out in the quagmire and not once did I hear a single word of complaint from my son. He was actually having a ball trekking around in the slop. Really enjoyed sitting in on the panel discussions and we caught a few indoor classes as well. Expo portion was fun wandering around checking things out and talking to new friends. Next time I'd like to check out more of the driving portion and hands on rescue classes but with a 4yr old in tow it wasn't in the cards this yr...

To the whiners out there, I'm guessing they didn't check the weather before hand and pack/dress appropriately. And, also be OK with their rigs actually getting dirty...

Old 05-20-2015, 12:07 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeH
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo
Query: What were some of your favorite vendor products this year?
I really like the Eezi-Awn K9 Roof Rack System.
http://www.equipt1.com/c/roof-racks

It's low profile and you can walk on it. You can also slide a table underneath it.
http://www.equipt1.com/item/k9-roof-rac ... unting-kit

Adventure Trailer also carries it. I think the two outfits share a warehouse or something.
http://store.adventuretrailers.com/eezi-awn-k9/

I thought these foldable solar panels were really cool.

http://www.powerfilmsolar.com

These water heaters were really cool, too. You can hook up LP to the unit, or use those iso-butane canisters commonly used for camping stoves. They're from South Africa and just beginning to be available in the US. It's an on demand water heater that can heat up to 110 degrees. You can put the pump in a bucket of water, or throw it into the lake or river. They also have a stove/water heater combo unit that was cool. The only downside I could see would be if you wanted to use it indoors. The water heater alone, was running around $400.

http://www.campausa.com

This company had some neat bunjie ratchet straps for securing tarps and so on. They also had some cool solutions to securing tarps that were missing the eyelets. The coupon below is good for only a couple of more days...

http://www.lynxhooks.com
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:11 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta825
To the whiners out there, I'm guessing they didn't check the weather before hand and pack/dress appropriately. And, also be OK with their rigs actually getting dirty...
My granny always used to say "there is no bad weather, just the wrong clothing"...

I am sorry we couldn't make it out there this year. Would have loved to say Hi! to some of you!

Anette
PlayOutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM   #90

Garage

We had a great time there. It was really nice to put some faces to the names on the board. The weather was tough, but we learned some things about keeping the mud out. I would go again, though I did think the classes were pricey since they were primarily about sharing ones anecdotal experience. It was tough to sit under an easy-up for an hour or two, while a guy went on and on about ... The driving course was fun and the SMB handled it well, though I did bypass one area because of the nerf-bars. I am glad I did it on Friday before they shut down the course.
Eventually we shined on the class schedule and just hung out. I think I learned more from that anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewaydo

I thought these foldable solar panels were really cool...

This company had some neat bunjie ratchet straps for securing tarps and so on. They also had some cool solutions to securing tarps that were missing the eyelets. The coupon below is good for only a couple of more days...
We also loved the PowerFilm Solar booth. I liked the semi-rigid, roll up version of the panels too. They also are wired in parallel so that one shady spot doesn't destroy the panels ability to produce as those wired in series would do.

We missed the LynkHooks, but thanks for posting! I looked them up and went to the site and after seeing some of the videos decided to purchase some with your coupon code! Free shipping too!

I was surprised that so many vendors were showing but not selling their wares. I was hoping for an innovative Hi-Lift mount. I am interested in mounting vertically to the rear. Since jwintersteller's version will not work for me, not enough space between the tire carrier and the van door, I am making my own right now...
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote