Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 AM   #1

Picking up our SMB...

...here in a few days and will have it transported to Vegas for pickup. We live in Jefferson City, MO and will be heading thru Utah and Colorado on the way home and was interested in hearing recommendations for side trips, trails, MTBing areas suitable for a brand new SMB (as far as breaking it in) and knowing it will be in the heat of summer. If it were you what would you get into?

tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #2

Re: Picking up our SMB...

On a smilar theme, I'll be picking up a used SMB in OH and driving it cross country to San Francisco. We bought a AAA membership in case the old girl has problems on the drive home. She is a 1992 Ford E350 EB, 2WD w PH top and something like a model 45 layout. She is old, but looks to be in decent shape.

Most likely route will be alternate roads through the Northern route including the following states:
KY - to Mammoth Caves
IL
IA
SD, maybe ND
Montana
ID
OR then down into CA

If anyone has ideas on sights we shouldn't miss or campgrounds worth a stop with a swimming hole for my daughter, that would be terrific. Just the two of us on the road for a couple of weeks should be terrific.

Thanks in advance for any guidance,

ER
Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

where in ohio? im near columbus and could meet up for a beverage..

85 E250 Turbo 6.9 vegiburner
92 explorer (well the vin tag and body skins are anyway)
09 jeep wrangler unlimted...for walmart wheelin!!

nothing scares my wife like my boredom and a welder!!
wanderer351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #4

Park City has a lot of summer mountain biking without the heat of Moab, Fruita, or Grand Junction. It is at 6,000 to 8,000', but you can ride the lift up to make things easier.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #5

IL
IA - Anita, IA (Just off I-80) has a nice camping in the state park (with a swimming lake). In town eat at the Redwood Steakhouse.
SD - 1880's town Off I-80. Black Hills. Corn Palace in Mitchell is almost unbelievable.
If ND, Theodore Roosevelt National Park is well worth a visit. Worth a trip to see both units. Buffalo can walk right through your campsite.
Montana - Don't miss Little Bighorn. Far exceeded any expectations.
ID - EBR-1 just outside Arco is the first nuclear reactor to make commercial electricity. Decommisioned and open for self guided tours. 20 miles away is Craters of the Moon. You can find ice in the caves on a hot summer day.OR then down into
CA - Everyone knows there is nothing California and no one should ever visit that wasteland.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Montana - Don't miss Little Bighorn. Far exceeded any expectations.
Agreed. South of the main visitor area is the Reno-Benteen Battlefield. There is self-guide "Entrenchment Trail". The soldiers at this location survived the battle. After walking the tail and reading the plaques I came away with a better understanding of the whole battle. Don't miss it.

Once I exit Hal, this is what I do.
https://larry.wvnet.edu/~van/pics/lic...late-small.jpg
WWW.WVBIKE.ORG
WVvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #7

Wow, terrific feedback. I appreciate it and am marking up my AAA Maps. (will use the GPS to get me there, but the maps are great to reviewing with my daugher prior to the trip!)

Thanks again everyone. I forgot who asked the question, but we will be flying into Cincinnati. Would love to meet up for a coffee and get any tips before I load up the van with camping chairs, etc. prior to the trip.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldRedFord
Wow, terrific feedback...
For you maybe. Thread hijack!
Old 07-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #9

tomesd,

I think the Park City mountain biking tip was for you, but felt bad about the hijacking of your request. I apologize.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #10

Oh don't worry about it- I was just razzing. Thanks to aldercrest for the input!