Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2010, 02:54 PM   #1

Places to camp in Oregon Hwy 101

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I am headed up to Bellingham, Wa to visit my grandparents and will be stopping by Quadvan in Portland to have them install their parts so my sliding door will clear my rear tire. I will have my wife and 4 sons (12,10,8,5) with me and once we leave Quadvan I want to come down the 101 and camp a few nights on our way back to Fresno, Ca.

Can anyone recommend some good places to camp on or near the beach on the 101 south of Portland?

We would be leaving Quadvan after lunch on July 16th and return to Fresno on Sunday night the 18th. I found this place (http://www.delsjourney.com/close-ups/us ... g_tips.htm) for some ideas but I would like to know if anyone has some tips. I was thinking about leaving Portland up the 26 to connect to the 6 and head into Tillamook and then head down 101 from there. But since I don’t know the area I don’t know if this is a good plan. Places of interest I should take my family to see?

Edit - also looking for a good place to camp in portland as we will be stopping there on the way up and down.

Any ideas are appreciated

Luke

Old 06-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Re: Places to camp in Oregon Hwy 101

US 26 to OR 6 and then south on 101 is the way to go. Count on 1.5 hours to Tillamook from Quadvan. Don't miss the Tillamook Cheese Factory 2 miles north of Tillamook after you leave Quadvan. Free cheese samples and great ice cream. (I work there...)

As for camping, the link you provided is an excellent one, and this covers the options for public lands camping near the beach. I can't provide much better information for the state parks. Since it is summer and you will be traveling on the weekend, I would recommend looking into advance reservations.

Beverly Beach would be a good one to aim for on Friday night. Washburne is another option and is about 2.5 to 3 hours from Tillamook. If you want to bypass Lincoln City and save some time on Friday night, look for East Devil's Lake Road on the left before you get into LC - that can save you 10-15 minutes. The scenery just north and south of Carl G. Washburn is beautiful, so try to drive it before it's completely dark. Sunset would be very good. You should look into Sea Lion Caves. It can be crowded, but maybe not too bad if you get there early on Saturday. The Oregon Coast aquarium in Newport is okay for the Oregon Coast, but doesn't hold a candle to Monterey. With your limited time, skip it and aim for the redwoods.

You might search this site for references to Mattole Road south of Ferndale and NW of Humboldt Redwoods SP. Looks like it could be interesting. It's on my list.

There are a lot of state and federal forests in the coast range. If you are prepared to boondock a bit, you have lots of options if you are in a pinch. I would suggest the Benchmark or Delorme atlases to get you into (and out of) the right areas. If you want more info on the middle and north coast, PM me.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #3

Dont the board bylaws prohibit camping spot suggestions
with our pictures of a guys rig?
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM   #4

thanks to those who pm'd me and posted here.

Any camp spots in Portland near quadvan?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

?????? I don't quite get what you mean ??????
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #6

While it may not make sense to say...

I think what billwilson means is that we all want to ogle luked's van, so throw up a pic or two in the gallery!

As for camping near Quadvan, check Sauvie's Island. Quadvan is in Portland's NW industrial area, so no good options within walking distance.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwilson

?????? I don't quite get what you mean ??????
Didn't you notice that he is picture addicted as most of us
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote