Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Planning stages of summer trip

Still working on the van (progress, albeit slow), and planning a 5 day 'inaugural' road trip at the end of July, from northeast NJ to Acadia. I view long 8-hr highway grinds as an efficient (if not fun) way to get to a destination, but Mrs. Rex finds them to be tedious. I want her to enjoy the trip too, so I am going to break the driving into bite-sized segments, with a few hours of driving, and a few hours of sightseeing and exploring.

The first night, will head out after work and drive a maybe 4 hours or so, getting past Boston.. thinking maybe Salem, MA. Crash for the night, and in the morning start the first full day with breakfast and checking out Salem for a couple of hours. Then hit the road and head to Portland, ME, and spend the balance of the day there, walking or biking around. At the end of the day, hit the road and drive a couple of hours before dark on local Rte 1 towards Acadia.

Second day will be more Maine Rte 1 touring / exploring, seeing of we can find any quaint little towns or scenic coastline spots. Planning on getting close to Acadia before stopping for the night.

Third and forth days will be all Acadia- hoping for Cadillac mountain at sunrise (the view might be misty) or sunset, Thunder Hole, Bar Harbor, etc, etc. Would really like to see if we can find a divey little local place for lobster (mebbe Thurston's?). Not sure if places that thrive on tourism will try to support local hotels by discouraging any boondocking. Might get a campsite, might head back over the bridge to the mainland. Will play that by ear.

5th day will be travel home. Maybe 7 or 8 hrs of driving time, broken up with 1 or 2 stops of an hour or two, depending on what interesting spots we may find along the way..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:57 PM   #2

We're hoping to do that trip very soon, from Tennessee. The PNW is calling us now though. Headed out there for 23 days at the end of this month.

Post lots of Acadia pics please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #3

The wife is game for getting up at 4:30 for a Cadillac Mt sunrise.. Really hoping the weather will cooperate and let us get some good pics..

Pretty much everyone will step on their 'willy' once in a while.
I usually make it a point to stop and put on my golf shoes first..
E-rex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acadia, maine, route 1