Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 09:07 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railvan View Post
I love all these Oregon suggestions but he did say he wanted to see Washington too... :^)
Olympic Peninsula. That alone could take a lifetime. And you’ll never see anything else like it in (your) lifetime, especially if you go all the way to the coast and stop in the Hoh rainforest on the way. Truly, soul-feeding.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Olympic Peninsula. That alone could take a lifetime. And you’ll never see anything else like it in (your) lifetime, especially if you go all the way to the coast and stop in the Hoh rainforest on the way. Truly, soul-feeding.
Excellent suggestion. Camping on the beaches at Kalaloch is awesome even if it is in official campgrounds. Deer Park campground south of Port Angeles is a fave of mine too.

Highway 20 over the Cascades and through the North Cascades National Park is a beautiful drive.

Winthrop to Loomis via National Forest 37 and 39 is a great drive and it's on main forest service roads so a scenic but easy drive.

If you are in the middle of WA look up Barker Canyon on Banks Lake. Primitive camping right on the lake edge on WDFW land.

The Palouse region in southeast WA is very pretty too.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:05 PM   #13

I second CarringB and also the camping at or near Kalaloch. It’s epic. Stay there or if you can score one of the spots just a few hundred yards north facing the beach you’re in heaven especially if it isn’t too crowded. I’ve only been there in the fall when it was mostly unpopulated and it was incredible.
Quigley with Agile RIP, 6.0 PSD
WhitH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:15 PM   #14

Garage
All great suggestions. I just returned from a 5 day trip down the Cascade crest in Oregon on my adv bike. All the popular mountain lakes are fully booked, even midweek. I would plan to visit the popular spots by day, then go 10 miles away to find a camp spot. Hard to do if you don't know the area..
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 PM   #15

Garage
A photog friend of mine, Steven Michael, provided this beautiful photo of Fall Creek on the North Umpqua:
Attached Thumbnails
5B4EDECF-FFB6-4C33-AAD6-90307B4901EE.jpg  
Old 08-14-2020, 12:24 AM   #16

Just to add to the options... don't forget Mt Rainier NP and Mt. St. Helens Nat'l Monument in Washington. Just got back from 3 nights at Mt Rainier... hiking is epic and the wildflowers amazing. Truly worth the visit. 2.5 hr.s from Portland.
2003 EB30 - Sold
bigriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #17

Garage
Great list Carringb! Totally second the suggestion for silver falls state park. That place is amazing. Like he said, do the hikes. Iirc it’s like 13 waterfalls many of which you follow trails that go behind the falls. So green and beautiful. We were riding one of the off trails and I wrecked pretty good going rather fast and the ground was so mossy and soft it was like wrecking into a bed, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #18

Oh what great input! Got the Benchmark maps out and marking places and routes.

Went to see Mt. St. Helens in 1980 after it blew just because I thought that was something incredible. Of course you could not get close at the time but it was very cloudy the whole time I was there and you could not even get a distant glimpse from the south. That is on our list and so is Rainier. Cool stuff. I think we better plan on more time.

Wife does freelance graphic design and can work some from the road. Me... retired so it doesn't matter. Getting excited.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #19

Sorry for the late reply on this but if you have not left yet another potential area to explore is one of the most scenic yet untraveled roads in Oregon, the Aufderheide Hiway (NF-19) between Oakridge/Westfir on 58 and Rainbow on 126. The road is paved the entire way but is not always in good shape so take it slow.

Aufderheide Scenic Highway- Highway 19 - VisitMcKenzieRiver.com

Lots of camping, hiking, biking opportunities and there is Terwilliger Hot Springs near Cougar Reservoir for relaxing.
peterbhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:31 PM   #20
Site Team

No matter what you do, don't miss Cape Flattery. Every time I see the pictures of Cape Flattery on my desktop slideshow I am reminded of how peaceful and beautiful that area is. We were the only people there at the time. It was heaven!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0458.jpg   DSCN0456.jpg   DSCN0454.jpg