Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 08:32 PM   #41

As bad as that is, it might have saved you from driving to the PNW only to realize you don't want to be here. Air quality is so bad over so much of WA and OR currently. We were supposed to head to southern and eastern Oregon yesterday for a week but cancelled it.

Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #42
Site Team

My wife and I took a trip about this time last year to Spokane, Washington. Our intention was to drive through Glacier National Park. But the fires in the area were so bad one could hardly see a mile or two in the distance. We decided it wasn't worth traveling to Glacier if we couldn't see anything, so we bummed around Spokane for a couple of days and then headed home. Trust me, there is no sense visiting a place when the fires are so bad.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #43

A gusset/plate between the two tubes welded to the swing tube and tire plate would eliminate the vibration or at least carry it throughout. Yes looks like bad welds but an east fix!
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:25 AM   #44

Damn, that really sucks, but one bright side is that you have inspired me to do a very close inspection of my all my welds. The last time I was at Aluminess, I had them weld on a couple gussets to the passenger side hinges since I've been known to over load the box from time to time, and so far, I have not had an issue. I would also agree that the entire West coast is not a good place to be right now, it's likely you would have turned around anyway. Best of luck................
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #45
A2Z

Those welds are worse than just "bad". Sorry this happened, glad no one was hurt. Maybe stating the obvious here but: I would have zero faith in any of the other welds and would be looking for a full replacemnt from the company. Also, I would think they would want to know, and have it back inorder to figure out how, they could go so wrong.
A2Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #46

Update. Aluminess is ready, willing and able to fix this as it seems to be common but they do not have a replacement arm to give me. I am not willing to drive from Durango to San Diego so I will have it worked on here by what seems to be a good TIG welder. We went over what needs to be done and I showed him photos of the gusseting that needs to be done. That and the repairs to the tubing split and other weld cracking.

I could send it back to Aluminess at their expense but that would probably take 2 weeks to get it there and back and we are supposed to be on vacation now. Local shop says Thursday at the latest as they are short handed today and tomorrow and really busy with stuff ahead of my issue. Aluminess as implied that I may be reimbursed for the repair costs. Cool.

Not going to the PNW anymore as it's just not the place to be right now. We don't want to be in the way and will likely just head to Yellowstone and some Idaho and Montana stuff.

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:44 AM   #47
Site Team

While you are in the Yellowstone area, check out Virginia City and Nevada City, Montana. It's a nice getaway for a day if you like mining history and old buildings.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #48

Good news on the update with Aluminess.

And yes, stay away from WA and OR. It's really bad here. Wish I could escape it but there is no clean air anywhere close enough to drive to and still go to work tomorrow!
Old 09-14-2020, 11:46 AM   #49

Regarding inspecting welds: I know to look for cracks around the welds, but other than that, are there any other clues that a weld is bad or could fail?
Old 09-14-2020, 12:19 PM   #50

Some photos per visual inspection. Don't know how one would inspect welds electronically but expect there is a way. Hope this all works out OK. Welder guy says no problem in fixing those breaks.