Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2016, 02:32 PM   #1

Portland, OR to Montana - Looking for suggestions

I'm planning on heading to Montana for about a week starting on May 23. My rough plan was to head to the Glacier National Park area and check it out and then try to get as far away from people as possible. Ideally do some fly fishing and mountain biking along the way.

Any suggestions for some desolate locations? I have a hunch with it being the week before Memorial Day I'm going to have to work to be free of the masses.

tobanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Garage
You won't be able to get over Going to the Sun Road that early in the year so you may want to come back some time in the future, no earlier than late June for most years. I think you may be able to get to some of the lakes along the west side but I'm not sure. We've never been there that early in the year. It is one of my favorite parks but it's a gamble going that early.
wanderers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:36 AM   #3

That's helpful information. Any sense how far South I'd need to go this time of year to get clear of snow?
tobanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #4

If you will be driving along 90 the North Fork of the Coeur D'alene and the St Joe in Idaho are good options for fly fishing. Both Have good rustic camp sites and should be pretty empty this time of year. The Clark Fork near Alberton Montana is also another fun place and has plenty of great fishing and camping.

https://www.silverbowflyshop.com/fishingreports/
CaptainVo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 PM   #5

We don't have a lot of snow left. The valleys in NW MT are the lowest elevations in the state (Kootenai river at Troy) so often spring comes earlier. If you want to avoid people the Yaak is good with great walk in lakes, or just outside the park up by polebridge or across the north fork in the park or.... go up the south fork of the flathead from Columbia falls and walk in to the Bob but you may see a lot of packers. It should be a great time of year to visit the area. Have fun.
almccurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #6

Garage
[QUOTE=almccurry;175213.... go up the south fork of the flathead from Columbia falls and walk in to the Bob but you may see a lot of packers. It should be a great time of year to visit the area. Have fun.[/QUOTE]

Is that montana-speak for armed people?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:09 AM   #7

guys with pack strings of horses/mules hauling stuff in for fishing camps in the bob marshall. However it would be a good idea to pack bear spray if fishing the back country or a firearm that could stop a griz , (awful heavy to carry all day when hiking/fishing) bear spray is pretty light and also effective.
almccurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #8

This is going on next weekend. It's fun to watch, even more fun to race

Bigfork Whitewater Festival
Old 05-21-2016, 04:57 PM   #9

Maybe consider 12 over Lolo, explore both sides of that, then turn right and explore the E side of Bitterroots...Easily spend a week and not be in the crowds....For a couple day adventure come back via the MacGruder Corridor, but it's probably too early....that's high country
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #10
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
What up Tobanz!? If you check out our Trip Report labeled Montana by CTB, you'll see a lot of cool spots/pics we hit...Gravelly Range Road would be a MUST for the SMB, for it is sem-isolated, beautiful views, and GREAT camping! I would also hit Quartz (either national park, or state or something) where you can spend $5 on a parking pass and go in and dig for Quartz all day (if you want)..Also, we hit Moose Lake, west of Glacier...That little lake was small, but awesome! Nobody came by the two days we were there! Canoed, fished (small trout easy to catch and release), hung out with the deer and Eagles! I would also hit Ruby Reservoir and hunt for Garnets and Rubies along the shore...great place to boondock (at least nobody bothered us)...can't wait to see your trip reports...Ps Gravelly Range Rd. is in the SW corner of state...by a historic fish hatchery...
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote