Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone
Pyramid Lake Nevada photos...

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of my overnighter at Pyramid Lake, NV on the Paiute Indian Reservation. Pyramid Lake is 28 miles long and 4-11 miles wide. It was a little windy and a little cool but overall a nice time.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #2

Re: Pyramid Lake Nevada photos...

Where was the fall leaves photo taken?

I'd love to explore Pyramid Lake more, but I don't really understand how the whole permission thing works on Indian Reservations.

-- Geoff
Old 10-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Txn2daBone

Geoff,

The fall leaves photos were taken just below the Numana Fish Hatchery which is located 8 miles North of Wadsworth, NV via State Rt 447 on the way to Pyramid Lake.

As far as activities on the rez you just need to obtain a permit for just about anything you do there. You need a permit for camping, a permit for day use, a permit for hiking trails, a permit for boating, a permit for riding bike trails, a permit for jet skiing and a permit for clipping your toe nails if you want to do that there. I'm surprised that you don't need a permit to get a permit. You can pick up a permit at any Tribal Ranger Station, visitor center, fish hatchery or convenience store in the area. I picked up my permit at the marina there....and I promise I won't say permit anymore!

Ric
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txn2daBone
As far as activities on the rez you just need to obtain a permit for just about anything you do there. You need a permit for camping, a permit for day use, a permit for hiking trails, a permit for boating, a permit for riding bike trails, a permit for jet skiing and a permit for clipping your toe nails if you want to do that there. I'm surprised that you don't need a permit to get a permit.
Ha ha! That's exactly what I was afraid of -- and is why I tend to just skip the place and stick to BLM or National Forest lands. But Pyramid Lake does seem worth exploring. I'll try to read up on the permit situation before I'm in the area again.

-- Geoff
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #5

Nice pics Ric! Yes, it gets cold at night up here in Northern Nevada....and its about to get a whole lot colder. Thanks for permitting us to share in the scenery.
CharlyBaltimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

We just got back from Yosemite and Pyramid lake as well. We spent 3 nights on 9 mile beach. Nighttime temps were around 46 and it warmed up fast to the mid 70's each day. Beautiful place.

Geoff, the permit thing isn't bad and Pyramid lake is definitely worthwhile. You can camp where ever you want (25' away from the water), campfires are allowed, great kayaking and fishing. I kept the "rule" book for Pyramid lake if you want it or need me to reference anything for you.