Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2019, 08:10 PM   #11

Well bummer, probably never run into you in the desert then.

gwbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #12

Love the area. After the dunes try going up the Sperry Wash road along the old rail road bed all the way up to Tecopa.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig255 View Post
Love the area. After the dunes try going up the Sperry Wash road along the old rail road bed all the way up to Tecopa.
That was hardcore back in the day, we used to have to winch our jeeps through several sections. We'd make beer runs to Tecopa and go that way, and then take the Hwy. back to camp.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:36 AM   #14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbuild View Post
That was hardcore back in the day.
It's quite drivable now. In my opinion.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #15

I've done Sperry Wash several times on my dual sport motorcycle. The scenery is just OK, but the Amargosa River crossings make it interesting and worthwhile. Note that they seem to have rerouted the trail a bit so that there are now fewer water crossings. I do plan to drive it in my van when I'm down that way.

IMO, the Kingston Wash south of Dumont is a much prettier drive as it goes thru the Kingston Wilderness. The wash is an authorized motorized corridor thru the wilderness. I have done this one in the van. Makes a nice loop when combined with Sperry Wash.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf View Post
I've done Sperry Wash several times on my dual sport motorcycle. The scenery is just OK, but the Amargosa River crossings make it interesting and worthwhile. Note that they seem to have rerouted the trail a bit so that there are now fewer water crossings. I do plan to drive it in my van when I'm down that way.

IMO, the Kingston Wash south of Dumont is a much prettier drive as it goes thru the Kingston Wilderness. The wash is an authorized motorized corridor thru the wilderness. I have done this one in the van. Makes a nice loop when combined with Sperry Wash.
You're right, when I say "back in the day" I'm talking late '60s and '70s. When they abandoned the rail way thru there they picked up and hauled off the rail but left all the ties. We burned those in camp fires for years and years until they were finally gone, I thought there was a lifetime supply of em. The Amargosa used to run way late into summer, we used to dam it up and go swimming to cool off from the heat, good times.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #17

I like your style....get the dog......and let's go..........nothing like the deserts of the west.
HIGHCOUNTRYMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote