Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2016, 02:02 PM   #21

Garage
I can't believe that people would take the time to travel to this place just to ruin it. That is damage that will be around for years. People (present company excluded) just suck.

Old 09-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie56 View Post
Its a re-post from another site, but I thought you might be interested.

Vandalism at the Racetrack, Death Valley National Park » Kurt M Lawson Photography

Old 09-24-2016, 09:56 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage
It's a cryin shame when I see stuff like this. The desert leaves trails that look like they were made w/i a recent time when in reality some are over 50 years old. I will say it might be easy for visitors to take a old trail of the past but come on man.

Hey Steve, if things go good I might be able to make this trip. Say hi to Carmen for me.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:53 PM   #24

Garage
It looks like there is a lead on the culprit: Investigators think they know who tore up Death Valley's fragile Racetrack Playa in an SUV - LA Times

Don't let this dissuade you from coming on this trip! We are less than one month away.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:36 PM   #25

According to my local paper the PS has enough evidence to arrest the alleged perpetrators. They have declined to release identities. Good idea. Recall the dentist who shot the old lion....international outrage. On both of my visits to Racetrack I observed behavior prohibited by posted rules. Offenders were "20 something" tourist types with an air of entitlement fostered by their parents no doubt. My inclination was to intervene but I didn't. Experience has shown me these people do not have the ability to stop and think about their actions. You can go to Vegas on a plane from Dimwitville, America and rent a jeep for a day trip, trash the race track and be back in Vegas for some "clubing" and the buffet at Circus Circus by midnight. I will continue to leave no trace. So I hope this doesn't put a damper on the upcoming trip for Steve In LA and his group. I'm sure we will get a report.
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:07 AM   #26
Site Team

Garage
Interesting reading the comments below the article. Seems several "so what, who cares" replies from a few readers. Apparently these idiots don't care about Tread Lightly and what it means. Sure the tracks might disappear over time but what about now? It's what gives the authorities to close off areas to vehicles.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 09:26 AM   #27

Garage
Hey Steve, put me down for this trip. Let me know if I can help plan any details.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #28

Garage
Here is the list I have so far. Let me know if any of you Maybes are decided one way or the other.

Attending:
SteveInLA
Nimzero
Brit55
Tapatio +1

Maybes:
KTMRider
nandunoon
TomsBeast
EZBSMB
DaveB

Don't forget to reserve a spot at the Panamint Springs Resort if you haven't already. Vandalism be damned! This will still be a fun trip.

By the way, this is a very, VERY unofficial gathering, meaning it is not restricted to Sportsmobiles. You or your friends are welcome in any capable vehicle.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #29

Sounds like fun and a great chance to meet other owners. I've had my truck for 9 years but I'm new to the group. If work allows, I'm gonna join you.
i4color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInLA View Post
By the way, this is a very, VERY unofficial gathering, meaning it is not restricted to Sportsmobiles. You or your friends are welcome in any capable vehicle.
Dina and I will be in the area (Death Valley). We were not intending on going out the Race Track, but might see you on the roads. If you see a red Jeep/white top pulling a green tub trailer, give us a waive. Right now (weather cooperating) our itinerary includes Striped Butte, Ash Meadows, and an area I have not been in before near Grapevine Peak. Our bail-out area is Oriental Wash and Gold Mountain. (Not exactly in the Park, but a very cool area to poke around in if you like mines and ghost towns.) For any HAM operators I will have APRS going (KZ6T-9) monitoring 146.520 and expect to be playing on HF as well.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote