Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2020, 08:16 PM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Jim called today and has some great plans but is asking for more vendors to join. I’m thinking a ham class and test might be a thing but need input.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:26 AM   #12

I've done just a little bit of 4 wheeling down in Baja, both in my F350 Crew cab long bed & in my Jeep Cherokee. You're right, there's a big difference. I got the truck high centered way more than the jeep. The Bill Burke class was fantastic. Especially since it was specific to vans. Two years ago I signed up for the premium package at Overland Expo West specifically so I could attend classes and drive the van on the Land Rover course and do the recovery class. Unfortunately, we got blocked in because they had some space issues due to the local fire hazards that year and I couldn't get the van out of our camping spot to take it to the training. We were sooo lucky we brought our MTN bikes, as we were sooo far away from everything.

When I saw that Rawhyde offered similar classes and some group trail runs that are sponsored by Sportsmobile, I figured it would be worth going to.

I'm also quite new to the radio stuff & I'll have to be honest, anything electrical (wiring, solar, radio) has always been a bit of a foreign language for me. I'd love it if they had some sort of "beginner's" or "introduction to" type classes. Maybe something with lots & lots of pictures or coloring books & crayons, that sort of basic...
Old 01-26-2020, 07:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My calendar looks clear, this is a strong "maybe" for me. Will see how it works with Laura's calendar over the next couple of days.
Laura and I have been talking about a trip to the desert and the timing for this works out so I am in the process of signing up. I say "in the process" because the website and I had some issues, thus I'll wait until tomorrow to speak to a real live person to finalize.

We will most likely be in the Mohave for a week or so before this, with Adventure Days at the end of our trip. Any suggestions for the days prior would be appreciated!
Old 01-28-2020, 08:53 PM   #14

Hey Fitz,

I will be in Mammoth for a few days prior to Rawhyde. Depending on the weather, I was thinking of heading from Mammoth to Mojave a day or two before Rawhyde starts and doing some exploring. I have found some fun/interesting looking places to check out.

If I make it down before Rawhyde, maybe we can meet up or go do some exploring together.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:10 PM   #15

Glen,

We are all for getting together. We plan to be in the Mohave for at least a week prior to Rawhyde, at this point we have no firm plans as to where we will be. With my wife the Geologist the list is always longer than time allows.... I'll send you a PM with contact info.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:07 AM   #16

Heading to Copper Canyon the next week, so wifey probably wouldn't appreciate trying to get out to this.
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #17

Just paid my entry fee today. Looking forward to this event.

Gooseberry, any word on the HAM class & test? I'm currently reading "Ham for Dummies" (very appropriate by the way...) & I just got the Gordon West book. I've also downloaded a couple of the study guides with practice tests onto my I-Pad, so I should be ready to take the test by the time this event rolls around.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:01 PM   #18
Site Team

Garage
No word yet on what is going on.

Old 02-01-2020, 10:02 PM   #19
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Just paid my entry fee today. Looking forward to this event.

Gooseberry, any word on the HAM class & test? I'm currently reading "Ham for Dummies" (very appropriate by the way...) & I just got the Gordon West book. I've also downloaded a couple of the study guides with practice tests onto my I-Pad, so I should be ready to take the test by the time this event rolls around.

Just get the arrl book and mark the correct answer and read them for a couple weeks

Old 02-28-2020, 11:15 PM   #20

Flint will be taking Laura and I out into the Mohave these next two weeks, most likely with a bit of Death Valley tossed in, with the RawHyde Adventure at the end of the trip. Our plans are very fluid and flexible, we are going to let each day determine the destination. If you will be in the area reach out and let us know!