Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #1

Rawhyde Adventure Days Event in Mojave

Is anyone going to this event in March?

https://rawhyde-offroad.com/events/a...s-overlanding/

Has anyone been before?

It looks like Sportsmobile is a co-sponsor. It seems a bit pricy, but with everything that's included it seems about the same cost as what we paid for Overland Expo's premium package in 2018.

We are really focusing on trying to get the van completed by the end of 2020 and I'm hoping that attending some of these events will help to finalize a plan for the rest of the build.

Old 01-09-2020, 12:08 PM   #2

Garage
Hi Glen,
I seem to remember that Joe from SF was going last year, but I seem to think it was a moto event and not an SMB thing.
Matt

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by velo47 View Post
Hi Glen,
I seem to remember that Joe from SF was going last year, but I seem to think it was a moto event and not an SMB thing.
Matt
Hello Matt, Thanks...

I did get some info. from Joe and he felt they were trying to make it a Moto & Overlanding event. They do seem to have a bit more stuff geared towards the non-moto folks. I am pretty sure I'm going based on what he said and what info. their web-site provides. However, I thought I'd see what experiences/thoughts others might have and see if anyone's interested in meeting up at the event.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:11 PM   #4

Garage
I was thinking about going to the rawhyde offroad event this year, yet wanted to know how last year went, and if folks on this list were going, thoughts, etc. R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Is anyone going to this event in March?

https://rawhyde-offroad.com/events/a...s-overlanding/

Has anyone been before?

It looks like Sportsmobile is a co-sponsor. It seems a bit pricy, but with everything that's included it seems about the same cost as what we paid for Overland Expo's premium package in 2018.

We are really focusing on trying to get the van completed by the end of 2020 and I'm hoping that attending some of these events will help to finalize a plan for the rest of the build.
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

I have a couple of friends who want moto training so I am thinking of going and being "base camp"
Old 01-10-2020, 05:51 PM   #6

It would be great to meet up with some folks from the forum at this event. I'm fairly new to all this and haven't really had the van out a bunch yet, so I'll most likely be taking a few of the classes and going on a couple of the trail runs they have planned. Especially since it's included in the price of admission. I might even stay and extra day and do a little mountain biking.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

My calendar looks clear, this is a strong "maybe" for me. Will see how it works with Laura's calendar over the next couple of days.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:20 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
....I'm fairly new to all this and haven't really had the van out a bunch yet, so I'll most likely be taking a few of the classes and going on a couple of the trail runs they have planned.
First hand practical experience is always best, so would certainly encourage you to participate in the classes...especially with your own vehicle. In my lifetime I've owned a couple Broncos, a Dodge Ramcharger, and a 4-Runner. All of which contributed to my off-road experience (along with the bravery that accompanies being young & dumb), but the Van was considerably different. Mostly due to the Rigs higher center of gravity, the fact your sitting 2.5ft higher (changes your perspective considerably), and weight.
Another useful tool to gain some perspective & knowledge is YouTube - not only entertaining, but its amazing what you can learn on it.
Old 01-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #9

Hey Glen. Keep an eye out for any posts about Bill Burke doing another Sportsmobile specific 4x4 training class. Well worth the money as you learn technique along with recovery practice. The one I attended was out in SoCal. Anza Borrego.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #10

Garage
I did a Bill Burke van class with Glen, among others, at Anza Borrego last April. You're right, it was great!

2016 4wd 144" Sportsmobile Sprinter
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2
2002 lifted & armored WRX wagon (sold)
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote