Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

Great info Annie, Thanks...........

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:01 PM   #12

Spokane friends said they didn't have much snow but it was headed their way. Below is more Montana info from friends SE of Kalispell...

"Hi Ann and Merry Christmas to you to. Good question -- not sure I have a good answer. We have always gone through the border North of Eureka... and usually the Kootenai Yak is a good bet...but this year so far has been a real Montana winter kind of year, the likes of which we haven't seen since 96 or even 78. Here in the Swan (Valley), we already have close to 3 feet of snow on the valley floor and it hasn't stopped snowing... that coupled with below zero temps have made for some interesting times on the highway. They have not been able to keep up with the plowing and interstate 90 east and west of Missoula has been closed several times already this year which is unusual. It took me 3 hours to drive to Missoula the other day instead of the typical 90 minutes. So I don't know what to say about best route, other than keep checking weather and highway reports and maybe have a couple of alternate routes planned in case one gets snowed/blizzard out..."

Good luck, Merry Christmas, stay safe!
Annie
Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Thanks Annie, At this point, all I can do is head that direction and watch the weather closely. There seem to be plenty of alternate routes, many of which seem to be passable most of the time, but one of the great things about having the van is the ability to pull over and wait in relative luxury. While most folks would be huddled in their cars with the motor idling to stay warm, we can simply kick back, turn on the heat, watch a movie, make a cup of tea and catch a nap if need be. What's not to like?
Advanced 4wd
Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM   #14

Sad your going to pass on the banff/jasper (icefields parkway), absolutely gorgeous in the winter and would have likely been one of the highlights. If your ever doing this area in another season I could point you toward some great backcountry drives along this route.

If you go down the Flathead lake, i think the east side is more scenic.

Sounds like a great trip
gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
Sad your going to pass on the banff/jasper (icefields parkway), absolutely gorgeous in the winter and would have likely been one of the highlights.
I hope to still do the Banff / Jasper route. It all depends on the weather. Normally I wouldn't care and I'd just wait if there were road issues, but since I have to make the only ferry to Ketchikan in Jan, I need to be more carefull. Retirement is just around the corner though, and I'll have all the time in the world, so I'd love to do some summer time back country travel.
Advanced 4wd
Old 12-19-2016, 06:52 PM   #16

Garage
It sounds like you have a solid plan and lots of options to get you to Prince Rupert. BC is been getting walloped with snow yesterday and it's caused some temporary closures for avalanche control and accidents on both the TransCanada and Highway 3. The nice thing is that the long-range forecast shows milder temperatures and no snow by time we had this way. That means you still might be able to do the Banff/Jasper route. Whichever way you go drive safe. If you decide to come through Kelowna let me know and we can meet for a beer.
Cheers
Darryl
4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Thanks Annie, At this point, all I can do is head that direction and watch the weather closely. There seem to be plenty of alternate routes, many of which seem to be passable most of the time, but one of the great things about having the van is the ability to pull over and wait in relative luxury. While most folks would be huddled in their cars with the motor idling to stay warm, we can simply kick back, turn on the heat, watch a movie, make a cup of tea and catch a nap if need be. What's not to like?
Oh right I know I posted TMI but I had fun contacting friends in Mt and Wa. Sounds like you are living right!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:50 PM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
We crossed at Waterton Lakes on our way up to AK, a mountain pass if I'm not mistaken, so road conditions will vary and depend on weather. A very nice scenic route, and the town itself is picturesque, big horned sheep all over town

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
RB "50" SMB
Quigley 4X4, Deaver's and RIP kit
CCV high profile pop top
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote