Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1

Rusty goes on a shakedown run

I finally put a tag on the new-to-me 95 SMB and loaded it up for a quick overnighter. The kids and I went down to Conasauga Lake in N. Georgia where it was a blessed 50+/- degrees in early mid Sept. That just doesn't happen much here. It's about the most remote camping you can find here with about 20 miles of gravel in, and I actually needed 4WD to get there this time.

We snagged a flat spot on the lake. All was good

It's a really pretty and quiet place which is almost impossible to get a motorhome or 5th wheel into, which makes it pure gold for this part of the country. It's a pristine 19 acre lake as well with sweet hiking and fishing

Of course, the SMB got a lot of attention (from the other 10 people there) because SMB's don't exist here

Impressions of the SMB (vs. CCV extended van):
PROS: I love the simplicity. Back it in and pop the top, unless you have an awning, you are really done. Drag out a chair or two maybe.
The lip on the inside of the PH is really great to store stuff while camping.
A Fantastic Fan fits perfect in the front window and hangs from the hooks already there.
Factory curtains are really nice, no big need to store Reflectix unless it's hot out.
This van is incredibly solid and strong and it is dead quiet and rattle free on the road. SMB engineering vs. homebuilt cabinets etc. I'm sure. It has some surface rust underneath which I hate and will be addressing but man it's nice to feel so surefooted and have more clearance. I actually like it better on the road than camping because:
CONS: It is small.
It is high up and not nearly as easy to climb in and out of. I'll be addressing this with steps and a step stool (which I forgot).
It is much darker inside than the CCV van. I guess this is the size of the windows and the lack of a rear PH window, but it's kind of dark and claustrophobic. Colors aren't to blame, they are both gray interiors.
The Suburban furnace is SUPER loud compared to my Atwood. It was a toss up between the two for me when I built my van. I'm glad I chose the Atwood.
Why would SMB put deep pile residential carpet throughout a camper? This is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It's coming out soon. I hate it.
Door panels and cabinets must be updated if I keep it. The mid 90's stuff is just subpar to the newer Ford interiors, and the particle board cabinets can't get wet, even once, or they swell up and die.

I'm still undecided about this van vs. my CCV van. It has everything mine doesn't: more power, low miles, 4WD, great paint, factory water and propane system with tanks
And it needs what mine has: newer interior, creature comforts like cupholders, TV, fridge, and room. Oh, did I mention room?

Sheesh. Sorry for the long rambling post

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #2

Re: Rusty goes on a shakedown run

Thanks for the comparison. Can you move the cabinets from he CCV to the SMB?

Yes Suburban furnaces are noisy. Was not aware of Atwood. Am going to them up.

Did you sleep in the penthouse and how much difference was there between he two?
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 06:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrie
Thanks for the comparison. Can you move the cabinets from he CCV to the SMB?

Yes Suburban furnaces are noisy. Was not aware of Atwood. Am going to them up.

Did you sleep in the penthouse and how much difference was there between he two?
No, not really. It would be much easier to just rebuild them. I like the RB-10 floorplan in the SMB anyway, so long term I would just rebuild the same floorplan out of real wood and add fridge, micro, etc.

My Atwood is super quiet, they are about the same price. My Atwood came from your neighborhood (roughly). Check out the prices at http://www.panther-rvproducts.com. Best I could find.

I have slept down below so far, but will be moving up top because it's longer. It is much narrower though. The CCV is a true queen bed, with the added benefit of storing all your bedding up there while you travel.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage

Must be a tough issue unless you can keep em both. So if you sell the 4x4 for a profit, U-Joint aint that far away

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

865Scotty,

Which Atwood model do you have?

http://www.panther-rvproducts.com.

I am starting a file "What to get for my next SMB" which will not be for a while.

Angel
2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage

Id say run it tell the wheels fell off and enjoy the outdoors. The other can be sold and cash used for fuel.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
865Scotty,

Which Atwood model do you have?

http://www.panther-rvproducts.com.

I am starting a file "What to get for my next SMB" which will not be for a while.

Angel
I have a black Atwood Everest Star Hydroflame 8012. It's very quiet and sips propane and battery juice. I love it. Panther RV is a great resource for home builders anyway, they have lots of goodies like tables flanges and posts, cool sinks and cooktops, and they are super to deal with. Very nice guys who will go the extra mile to help you.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Must be a tough issue unless you can keep em both. So if you sell the 4x4 for a profit, U-Joint aint that far away
Keeping both is not a long term option, not past next Spring or so anyway. I can't handle loading up whichever one I want to take, not to mention can't afford to keep both anyway. I have 5 insured, driveable vehicles at the moment. Too much, no parking! The beauty of a van is it's always loaded and ready, load up your food and go. If I don't get used to one I never remember where stuff is, never have everything I need, etc.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #9

Excellent comparison!

If/when we do another van I think we would seriously lean towards a CCV top for the extra room both width-wise and height-wise. I keep on day dreaming of all the extra little bits I'd love to have, but at the end of the day none of those are what keeps me from getting out and using it... it is always just time. As much fun as it is to tinker and build up a van, it is more fun being able to use the time available to get out and share it with the family.

The RB is definitely a bit cramped for our family of 4, but it is like a palace compared to our friends with westy's so it is all relative.

That is awesome that you actually got to use the 4wd and extra clearance. Nice to be able to justify having it!
Old 09-25-2013, 09:26 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

Can't say I wouldn't like to be in your situation. Is the CCV an E-350?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote