Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2015, 06:25 PM   #21

Re: Rusty rides again..........mostly

My 25th is next year. Thanks to this thread, I've made a note to plan to spring for individual hamburgers for my wife and I.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #22

Things were definitely looking up. I talked to Paul at Liberty Auto a couple of times while we were at Zion and he confirmed that it was the fuel pump. He said it took a long time to get it to fail. Of course. I was paranoid they weren't going to find it, which would've left me with nothing 'solved' except vapor lock. They put a pump in and had the van waiting for us Wednesday morning when we got back. Very nice folks at Liberty Auto.
After all this bad luck with the van, in the heat, we were ready to head North. We had enough time to hit the north rim of the GC for a couple days and it was close so we headed there. We had really wanted to see White Pocket but just didn't have the heart to risk a long run offroad with the luck we'd had. Maybe some other time.
We got the ubiquitous pic of Horseshoe Bend on the way out of Page. A picture doesn't do this thing justice. It really is beautiful, if you can see it for all the tour buses full of folks.

The North Rim was everything we had always heard it was. Very quiet compared to the South Rim. We inquired about camping off grid in the National Forest, and opted for an area closer to pavement than the prettier Western spots right on the rim. The Point Sublime area is also going to be a next time for us.

Marble Point/Marble Canyon area

We got a great site out of the wind at Marble Point. Not another soul in site. We laid a fire and just as I was about to light it an unbelievable lightning storm started to blow in. I wanted to get some pics but it was honestly too bad to go out and shoot, being on the edge of the abyss at high altitude where we were. I covered the fire with a tarp and was so anxious to enjoy it I just rolled the whole thing up and threw it in the Trasharoo the next morning. Thanks again Trasharoo!

Pics here are missing. I'll find em and add them.

It was nice here and we could've stayed a couple more days but we were looking at the forecast for the Tetons and we just had to bail. It was forecast to be clear and 50/65 there for the next few days. Time to roll out.

More to come...........

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #23
Site Team

Garage

I don't think I'll have the right to complain if I break down after hearing your story.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #24

Great report. Sorry to hear about the fuel pump though,but having been through the same thing last winter I have a pretty good idea what you went through. Since it was my second pump in less than a year, and knowing that the tank was clean, I suspect the after market pump quality was just crap. I now think I need to carry a spare. Meanwhile, you have inspired me to visit a few of those places next winter. Thanks.............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:36 AM   #25

Cool. Marble Viewpoint, have to add this to my bucket list. Thanks for sharing, and more pix please!
wadewaydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 09:42 AM   #26

Ida had to made the Tetons another trip
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:10 PM   #27

We made our way up 89 from Zion to east of Provo which I consider a much prettier route than I-15. 89 is not terribly exciting through this stretch but much better than any freeway IMO. What I didn't know was how beautiful it gets north of I-70. You go through a big valley but once you're up around Mount Pleasant or so it gets really nice. We headed up towards the Strawberry Reservoir and Uinta/Wasatch NF on MacMacintire's recommendation and it was amazing! Right up from the reservoir we found one of the best sites we've ever had. This is prime off-grid camping in this area, and lots of it. It was a holiday weekend so all the easy pickings were taken. Good thing we have an SMB Rusty had been running well again for awhile now so I felt pretty good getting offroad.

Camp overlooking the Strawberry Reservoir

Night shot fun

This is probably on our top 5 or 10 sites ever, when you consider weather, view, privacy, price (free), etc. We just loved this one. We'll have to get back to it someday.

More to come..........

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:30 PM   #28

Garage

Glad you hit that area up by Strawberry. One of my favorites as well, especially since it's 20mins from the house. Perfect for those spur of the moment overnight camp trips. Awesome photos!
Old 07-23-2015, 07:38 PM   #29

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

I used to Deer hunt around Strawberry - wonderful area.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #30

You take purdy pictures. Great report.