Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 05:56 PM   #31

Re: Rusty rides again..........mostly

Continued............I'm trying to finish this up but it's not going so well. Next we headed up through Heber City and went East on 150 through the Uinta/Wasatch Cache NF. This is a beautiful drive. Lots of nice lakes and people out fishing.

I think my shutter finger was getting tired about this time. Not too many pics but a must see if you're close by. People camp everywhere along the highway in this NF. I've never seen anything quite like it.

We landed in Jackson later that day, actually finding some off grid camping along 26 between Alpine and Hoback. All campgrounds on this stretch (and there are lots) were full. Once again, Rusty came through being 4wd and being self-sufficient. The next day we ate and drank a lot at the Snake River Brewery. Shameless plug: It's my favorite place. It's the only reason I go to Jackson, other than to see Ron. Speaking of, Ron was standing out front when we passed by. We had a great visit and he showed off some of his toys and friend's toys he has for sale. We miss you Ron! (Ron is Bettyford for those who don't know. He runs Ron's towing in Jackson. He even set me up with a T-shirt).

We explored a little in the park after laundry and supplies that day and settled in one of my favorite spots on Shadow Mountain.

The next couple days were hiking, hiking and exploring. Not much SMB stuff here but so much beauty in the Tetons. Oh, we did see about 10 or so SMBs. I stopped counting. They're always like ants there.

Bradley Lake hike. We surprised this little guy. He was nice and didn't eat us.

Out of time for now. Maybe one more episode............

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #32

Those are some beautiful spots! Great pics!
Old 08-03-2015, 05:47 PM   #33

Continued...........It was at the trailhead for the Bradley Lake trail (last episode) where we met up with Sheriff Doug. He has since gone off the radar though and we never saw him around the park again.

More pics of this same mountain range.

Family of 'human' cocoons in a tree

Camped again at Shadow Mountain

We took the River Road loop off of the main park road this trip. I've never even noticed the signs for it before. It proved to be a highlight of the trip. Lots of wildlife and since it's recommended for 4wds only we probably saw 3-4 other vehicles. We were starting to run out of time but I'd like to take a whole day sometime to meander along this road with some binoculars and a good zoom lens.

We even saw a sweet Earthroamer in it's natural habitat. These things are much bigger and more intimidating in real life. Rusty trembled.

It was time for us to head east, but before we left we went up Pacific Creek Rd. from Moran Junction. This road goes along the creek and looks like some really great fishing. I don't have any pics of this but it was beautiful. It leaves the park and becomes NF pretty quickly and there are lots of good boondock spots along the road. Also I can confirm that there is a campground at the end of the road. A few locals (and forum members) told me it wasn't so. It's quiet but the 10 or so sights were mostly taken. It looked like another great alternative from the crowds at most Teton CGs. Check it out if you want to get off the beaten path.

We rolled home in about 2.5 days with no drama. We can't wait to get back!

That's it for this trip, thanks for tuning in and being patient with me.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #34

*alwaysleaveemwantinmore*
"... torpedo'd, because we don't generally cotton to bullshit around here." -jage
"... do they ooch apart in the night?" -Dia
twogone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:00 AM   #35

i like all of this.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #36

Garage

that picture ^^^ thank you! i havent seen that bridge since i was a wee one with my pops. memory lane!

makes me feel like a bad idahoan for how long its been since i really got into teton park and explored. i grew up in the tetons and never realized how special that area really is. at first i wondered why so many of you traveled so far just to check it out. i guess sometimes you dont realize how special a place is until you see it through eyes of others.

great trip report man, thank you for taking the time to share it all with us.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 07:36 AM   #37

Thanks a lot Shenrie. That makes it all worth it. No surprise that I'm a sucker for GTNP. I just love that place. If it gets as crowded as Yellowstone I probably won't love it so much, but I'll have the memories. You should get back there soon.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:56 AM   #38

Re: River Road/RKO Road. Shhh.

It is my favorite road in the park that does not exist. Repeat: It does not exist and I will not be fishing there Thursday.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparkwy
Re: River Road/RKO Road. Shhh.

It is my favorite road in the park that does not exist. Repeat: It does not exist and I will not be fishing there Thursday.
Gotcha. I have probably mentioned too many of the good places in the park already. My apologies. I will stop. I don't think they're going to be invaded by the masses anytime soon though.

Hey, I ran in to a buddy of yours at the Jenny Lake overlook. Nice couple in a van the same color as yours. They said they knew you. I didn't get their names.

Old 08-04-2015, 09:21 AM   #40

Don't worry I like seeing other rigs like yours out on the River Road. Sweet 'Roamer too.

Maybe BJ and Lisa? They have an '06 that looks pretty similar to mine.

Hope to see you out here again soon (minus the van troubles!)