Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Sand and tire pressure

How low do you go? I am planning a trip into white pocket and all the trip reports leave me felling a bit unsettled. Is 18-20 psi really smart in a 10,000 rig ? Have you been to white pocket ? Should I be afraid ? Id love to pull our SMB trailer as well but do not think that is an option until I scout out these roads. I have been talking with folks from kanad blm in regard to road conditions after Friday's storm the sand shoul be great February 14,15,16 when we are going ....... Granted the weather holds.

Thanks

Jonathan

tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #2

Re: Sand and tire pressure

I suggest starting around 30psi and if you find this difficult going drop down to 20-25. This may vary with tire type/size. Also make sure you have a method to recover vehicle if tire pressure doesn't work. Maxtrax, winch/PullPal, 2nd vehicle, etc..... Nice to experiment with these pressures prior to being needed.

2010 SMB
www.xtrememobileadventures.com
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:14 AM   #3
Site Team

Do you have a good (high CFM, 100% duty cycle preferred) compressor, or a PowerTank?

Herb
Old 02-02-2015, 10:06 AM   #4

I run 8 rear (since there's twice as many tires) and 15 front in the sand.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM   #5

12lb to start off.....but I am only 2wd

never blown a bead
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #6

I went to White Pocket last October on my way to Canyonlands NP. My SMB is a Sprinter, but I carry a dual-sport KTM on the back. Left the SMB on the pavement and rode the bike in, but hated every second of it. I hate riding in sand, and it was nothing but deep, loose, dry sand. There were 16.6 miles of it, but the worst was the 9.5 miles from where you turn north at Pine Pockets. The photos show what to expect.

There were a few 4x4s in the parking at the end, and I passed one or two along the way. They didn't look like they were having any trouble. I talked to a local who said you could make it in a 2-wheel drive, but you have to know how to drive in sand. Also, it would have to be very high clearance.

After all that, I was frankly not so impressed by the area, but I didn't hike more than about a mile, being burdened by my motorcycle gear, and not wanting to leave my bike alone for too long.

- Steve
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8841.jpg   IMG_8843.jpg  
SteveTOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:20 PM   #7

Garage

Streve's pictures show pretty much how the trail is. I drove it some years ago and it was about the same trail condition. There is one spot where you have to go up a hill. The return is steeper, so taking a look at the trail walking it before to go down could be a good idea.
Old 02-02-2015, 09:36 PM   #8

I am 4x4 EB on 285/70/17 toyo mt and the sand is damp due to the Friday/ Saturday storm. I do not have a fast way to air up I'm counting on about 15-20 minutes per tire

On board air is on my short list. I will be happy to share my experience with you guys. I Keep telling myself the guide service in the area drive stock suburbans ... It's my extra 3000lbs that I fear.

I'm not a fan of riding in sand either. O7 640 adv or the o9 990 adv now on the crf450 with a paddle it's a different game completely.

We will have cold beer a high lift jack and two men to dig and a couple of ladies to supervise..... I think it will all be ok. But it feels better to hear you guys say it.

Thanks and please keep the advice and first hand accounts coming.
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 PM   #9

Based on those pictures, you probably won't 'need' to deflate... But might want to as it will smooth out the ride from the washboard.

30psi should be fine, you won't need to go any lower than that.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

I run 30psi in all 4 and it seems to work. I have also done it at 70 psi in the duns on the Mohave road and it was doable but not fun. I redid the springs on my 640 and it went from a pita to floating through the dunes and flying off them.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote