Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #11

Re: Scenic drive suggestions for Sequoia to Redwoods

I have 2 days to get from Sequoia to the Redwoods and then a week to get down Hwy 1 to Morro bay. The way I have it figured with daves expert cross country travel planning is 8hrs drive to Napa from Lodgepole and about 6hrs drive to Jedediah Smith from Napa. Is the off base? That leaves us 4-6hrs to eat and sight see each day(8-8 travel day) in a part of the trip that is filler between Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia part and the Redwoods/Hwy1 part. This is my first trip to California and I kow what happens when you listen to google maps.(LOST or at the least misplaced)
Thanks for all the help.

4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:44 AM   #12

I guess I should have mentioned this is the first trip we have every planned. We usually pick a direction and go till we get sleepy, eat when we get hungry and come home when we get tired. Seldom spending more than one night in the same place.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Huel Howser did a show on the fruit road in that area. I think it starts by the sequoias and heads up to Yosemite.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:23 PM   #14
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
I have 2 days to get from Sequoia to the Redwoods and then a week to get down Hwy 1 to Morro bay. The way I have it figured with daves expert cross country travel planning is 8hrs drive to Napa from Lodgepole and about 6hrs drive to Jedediah Smith from Napa. Is the off base? That leaves us 4-6hrs to eat and sight see each day(8-8 travel day) in a part of the trip that is filler between Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia part and the Redwoods/Hwy1 part. This is my first trip to California and I kow what happens when you listen to google maps.(LOST or at the least misplaced)
Thanks for all the help.
Your plan is to fly up and explore coming back? I'd probably add a little more between Napa and Crescent city for the trip up. You can always get up before sunup and hit the road while it's dark. Maybe Charlie or others can give you an idea where to quick camp past Napa. I just used SRA's on my trip but would really like to find some good spots to boon dock instead. Park camping is expensive.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry
Huel Howser did a show on the fruit road in that area. I think it starts by the sequoias and heads up to Yosemite.
Good info. I love Huel.
Thanks
Old 03-09-2015, 05:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Your plan is to fly up and explore coming back? I'd probably add a little more between Napa and Crescent city for the trip up. You can always get up before sunup and hit the road while it's dark. Maybe Charlie or others can give you an idea where to quick camp past Napa. I just used SRA's on my trip but would really like to find some good spots to boon dock instead. Park camping is expensive.
Yes to the fly up. Just make it as laid back as possible. I was going to stay at Skyline Wilderness Park it is convenient for my route and reasonable price close enough to town to grab a bite and some shut eye. Like you mentioned I may need to adjust my start time a couple of hours or just try to get to Patrick's Point State Park or somewhere on the south end.
I found a website for agri-tourism. I am not sure about price but seems like a interesting alternative to campgrounds
http://www.calagtour.org/Accommodati...V%20facilities
Old 03-09-2015, 06:06 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage

You can always get out early and hit I-5 just prior to Tracy then zip up to Williams and jet over to Clear Lake SRA for the night. Going through Stockton and Sacramento sucks but the speed limit is better and you would really make some time. After Sac, it's mainly farm land. Cut over on highway 20. Fuel in Williams @ Hwy-20. Make sure you go to Granzellas for lunch/dinner. That place has the best pizza and deli around. Highway 20 to Clear Lake is a bit windy (as in curvy) but a nice drive. Lots of vineyards and pear orchards around the lake. The park is nice but can be crowded during the peak season. They used to let us stealth camp at the boat launch but my guess that has changed. I can get to Clear Lake from Turlock in 4.5 hours just to give you an idea. You'd still have a good drive from Clear Lake to Crescent City via 101 but it's a bit closer than Napa. Just another suggestion.

The main thing is not to underestimate the size of California.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #18

Quote:
You can always get out early and hit I-5 just prior to Tracy then zip up to Williams and jet over to Clear Lake SRA for the night. Going through Stockton and Sacramento sucks but the speed limit is better and you would really make some time. After Sac, it's mainly farm land. Cut over on highway 20. Fuel in Williams @ Hwy-20. Make sure you go to Granzellas for lunch/dinner. That place has the best pizza and deli around. Highway 20 to Clear Lake is a bit windy (as in curvy) but a nice drive. Lots of vineyards and pear orchards around the lake. The park is nice but can be crowded during the peak season. They used to let us stealth camp at the boat launch but my guess that has changed. I can get to Clear Lake from Turlock in 4.5 hours just to give you an idea. You'd still have a good drive from Clear Lake to Crescent City via 101 but it's a bit closer than Napa. Just another suggestion.

What concerns me is the fact that it takes you 4.5hrs to get from Turlock to Clearlake and google maps says just a little over 3hrs. That turns the 6hrs drives I have planned into 9 that would make for a whole lot of early morning adjustments.
I am thinking I will just keep my reservations at Yosemite and Lodgepole and after that have a general direction and no time frame and wherever we are on the day we need to head home is as far as we go. We have had many wonderful experiences like that and a couple of disasters!
Old 03-10-2015, 11:31 AM   #19

Just a thought. You might want to skip Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. After visiting Yosemite, they might be a let down. You can see sequoia trees in Yosemite in the Wawona Grove, Tuolumne Grove, and Merced Grove. Kings Canyon is nice but doesn't compare to the Valley....
Old 03-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4sporty
Quote:

What concerns me is the fact that it takes you 4.5hrs to get from Turlock to Clearlake and google maps says just a little over 3hrs. That turns the 6hrs drives I have planned into 9 that would make for a whole lot of early morning adjustments.
I am thinking I will just keep my reservations at Yosemite and Lodgepole and after that have a general direction and no time frame and wherever we are on the day we need to head home is as far as we go. We have had many wonderful experiences like that and a couple of disasters!
That's pulling a bass boat, stop for pizza and the drive from the town of Clear Lake to the park is a ways off. In CA you can only drive 55 MPH with a trailer.
On a side note I agree with Jack, Kings Canyon is nice but nothing quite like Yosemite. I'd rather take in all of Yosemite including the high country if it's open than cut it short seeing only the valley and heading to Kings Canyon. JMO