Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #1

SE Oregon Outback trip

I recently returned from an 11 day trip to the SE Oregon Outback. I had a great trip and thought I'd share a bit about my adventure. Here's a link to a slideshow I made about my trip and a (longish) narrative below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11kW...ew?usp=sharing

Following a 4-day trip over Memorial Day weekend to the Mt. Hood National Forest with my kids, we returned home, where I did a quick turnaround and departed on Tuesday, 5/26 for Central Oregon from my home in Portland for a solo adventure. I arrived in Bend that afternoon and drove to Phil's Trail Complex to mountain bike on the trails. After riding I proceeded to a nearby spot where I've camped in the past adjacent to the trail system. I met my cousin the next day and spent another day riding at Phil's and one more night in this camp.

The following day, 5/28, I departed and headed towards Paisley, OR. My destination for the evening was Chewaucan Crossing, a small Forest Service campground along the Chewaucan River, where the Fremont National Recreation Trail crosses the river. The next day, I mountain biked a section of the Fremont NRT from camp towards "Government Harvey Pass". This is rough, steep primitive singletrack that doesn't see a lot of riders and I was not surprised to be alone on the trail, a marked contrast to the riding at Phil's.

I departed*Chewaucan Crossing 5/30 and headed for Plush, OR and on to my ultimate destination for the night, Hart Mountain National Antelope Refuge. I arrived mid-afternoon at Hart Mountain NAR and drove to Hot springs Campground. It was super windy and I had some concerns that my portable solar panel might not stand up to the wind, so I used bungie cords to lash 2 one-gallon water jugs to the panel which held it fast. After the wind died down somewhat, I enjoyed a nice soak in the namesake hot springs. The next morning I awoke and rode up the Barnhardy Road, a jeep road closed to motor vehicles for the season. After another steep climb and some great views, I turned around and zipped back to camp for another round of soaking in the hot springs.

The next day, 6/1, I broke camp and headed for Frenchglen, OR and the Steens Mountain Management Area. I arrived in Frenchglen after about two hours and 40 miles of dusty, gravel road driving. I learned that the North Steens Loop road, and therefore my intended destination of Fish Lake campground, was closed. The proprietor of the Frenchglen Hotel recommended South Steens campground, so I headed there instead. After another 20 miles of unpaved roads, I arrived at the very pleasant*South Steens campground and set up camp. After speaking to a mountain biker in camp, I learned that the Steens Loop road was closed at the second gate, 4 miles above camp. The next day I drove up to the gate and rode in on my bike 5 miles, where snow made the road impassable. I spent quite a while taking photos of the impressive Steens views, before turning around and heading back to my GTRV.

On 6/3, I left the Steens Mountain area and headed towards the small outpost of Fields, OR and reprovisioned at the Fields Station Store. I filled up with gas, filled both my onboard and portable propane cylinders, bought a few groceries and enjoyed one of Fields Station's famous milkshakes before heading to the Alvord Desert. The Alvord is a dry alkali lake bed, roughly 6 x 11 miles and is accessible via a short dirt access road. I'd heard a lot about driving on the desert playa and proceeded to do just that! After experiencing this novelty for myself, I headed over to the nearby Alvord Desert hot springs and enjoyed a soak with the tubs and playa view all to myself. This is a privately managed hot spring that costs $8 for a soak, well worth it. Refreshed and with the day cooling off from the high 80's I proceeded back to the playa and found a spot to camp for the night. I had a great night with mild temperatures and very little wind as I enjoyed a nearly full moon and the solitude of the playa.

The next day, 6/4, it was time to begin my homeward journey. I drove to Burns, OR and stopped the grocery store for a few provisions before deciding on a destination of Emigrant Springs campground for the night. Emigrant Springs was a nice enough Forest Service camp, but the mosquitos were fairly aggressive and I had to "grease up" with bug juice as I set up camp.

I spent only a single night at Emigrant Springs, before breaking camp and heading back towards Hines, OR and Hwy 20. I proceeded west on 20, took the Millican cutoff towards Prineville, before heading over Mt. Hood and eventually home where I arrived about 5:00 p.m. It was a great trip, full of fantastic scenery. I can't wait for the next one!
Attached Thumbnails
TH Sabbatical.jpg  

YoTerryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Was this trip much off road? I wasn't able to open your file.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #3

Most all of Hart Mountain NRA and South Steens Mountain Loop road is dirt/gravel. Also driving on the Alvord Desert is unpaved playa.

I'm curious if others can view it. It should just open/play in a web browser. You could try pasting the link into your favorite browser.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #4

Garage
Opens for me. Looks like a cool trip. Get any pix?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:37 PM   #5

I'm confused now. Were you able to open this link?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11kW...ew?usp=sharing

If so, you should see the pictures.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

Garage
Hey, YoTerryh, that was very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #7

Doable with 2WD and AT tires/LSD?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
Doable with 2WD and AT tires/LSD?
Very much so.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:14 PM   #9

Thank you! I was revisiting most of these areas for the second time in about 20 years.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #10

Garage
Yes that link worked, thanks!

Great album. I really need to venture further into oregon. I really like what you and larry have posted on the steens and alvord. I need to go check out those areas. Furthest I’ve ventured into that area is three forks and loved it as well.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote