Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 12:08 AM   #1

Seattle to California

We just completed a 2 week tour of the California Coast. Our trip began in Seattle with a rapid decent south to Fresno. We dropped the van off at Sportsmobile to service the 4x4 system, install a 3rd captain’s chair and add other miscellaneous improvements. The folks at Sportsmobile were great. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in northeast Fresno which was much nicer than expected plus had an outdoor pool for the family. The work on the van was completed in 2 days and we headed south to San Clemente State Park to camp. From San Clemente we drove north on Highway 1 to Bolsa Chica, then up to Mcgrath State Park. The weather was good and was fun to get the boards wet in warmer water. Spent some time in Santa Barbara and camped at Montana De Oro State Park. This was a family favorite and provided some quiet beach time and warm weather. Our next stop was Santa Cruz, another favorite with the family, and camping at New Brighton State Park and beach. We moved north to spend a day and a half in San Francisco, great city and again the weather followed us, 85 degrees and sunny. In SF we stayed at the Travelodge which we selected because we could park the van in the motel lot off the street. We then drove to the Lost Coast area based on some recommendations here (thanks twolost) and to Usal Beach. We drove from Usal beach on Old Country Road 431 to the north end of Sinkyone State park (the paint took a beating) and camped near Bear Harbor, amazing spot. Here are some photos from our travels.

Shady Pine in Ashland, OR

Holiday Inn Fresno

At Sportsmobile West

Bolsa Chica

Mcgrath State Park

Montana De Oro

Road to Montana De Oro

New Brighton State Park

Santa Cruz

San Francisco

Usal Beach

Usal Beach

Usal Bridge

Sinkyone

Bear Harbor

Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 AM   #2

Re: Seattle to California

You fill me with envy. The cool weather sounds great. Thanks for the pics of the SMB a d beautiful scenery. Thanks again from south Texas( hot, flat, and humid). Looks like a good time.
Bigduke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #3

Wow that looks like a great trip and the SMB looks awesome. What size tires are you running? I have a 2006 350 EB in the same color with the same rims. I was going to have it converted to 4X4 here in SLC but just bought new 245s and wasn't sure how the SMB would 'sit' unless I got 275s. If you have the 245s, I might have to spend the money now and get the conversion. Thanks!
8850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Awesome trip! I am hoping to make it down to Fresno next year for some updates as well (considering electric top). I see you got the hubs repacked.... I am still thinking of doing mine myself and will invite over any local who wants to do it with me as we talked about at the meet and greet.

I am fairly certain Seattle is running 285/70R/16's or bigger.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #5

I am pretty sure they are 315's but can check when I get home. The tires were on the van when I purchased. I get a little rub on the fronts, especially on those switchbacks on 431.