Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #91
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Nice! Did you use a 10-stop filter for that shot?

FYI y'all... don't subject your camera to a straight on shot of the sun/eclipse. Unless you want to torture your sensor. Just like it will burn your retinas, it'll burn out your sensor, too.
It's a beta filter on a Televue NP-101 and just the camera body. The filter is basically made to watch sun spots. I have another that is an H-Alpha filtered 40mm scope but I don't have a 1.25 adapter to buckle up to my camera. One of these days I'll get one. The views through the H-Alpha scope of the sun is very cool.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #92

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
For those who will be in the zone of totality, a little bit of history and science here. You will get to see something that proved Einstein's General Theory of Relativity.
Love it!!! Thanks for writing this up.
Ready to Rumble!
Glider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Love it!!! Thanks for writing this up.
Ditto! We are camped in the band with a great group and this will make tomorrow that much better.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:40 PM   #94

I don't have special glasses, so I made one of these:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.43f098bd5abb
TomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:37 AM   #95

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty View Post
Thanks Otter, I did not know that. I was hoping to take some shots. I guess it's fine in the minute or so I get of totality, right? Hoping to get at least some memorable shots of this thing. No fancy camera gear here, just a DSLR Canon Rebel with a telephoto lens.

At totality - actual totality - you'll be seeing only the aura, which presumably is safe. I say that because I'll have to take off my solar filter in order to get a totally darkened sun. The problem will lie in setting up your shot. You'll only have about two minutes when it'll be safe to either look at the sun or have your camera sensor look at the sun.

If I were going to set up with no filter, I'd get my camera on a tripod with the lens cover on and point it in the general vicinity of the sun, with my settings all set. Then, at the moment of totality, I'd pull off the lens cover and have at it for a minute or so. That'll be it.

I'm writing this at 11:30 PDT, so you might not see this reply. Hope you and everyone else on here has a great time.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:59 AM   #96

Garage
glad to hear the traffic wasn't as bad as anticipated in Idaho. hopefully that's the case on the way home too! haven't seen any additional updates on traffic in Oregon. hopefully its all good now. I checked out a bunch of the road cams after larrie posted links and didn't look like any of the roads were in bad shape at all.

hopefully everyone has a good time today watching the eclipse. wish we were someplace cool to check it out. im stuck watching it from the roof here at work
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #97

Garage
^^^ just in time too!

well that was pretty cool. was 9 when the last one came through so I didn't remember much. was interesting to see how the shadows distorted and seeing the stars come out. parking lot lights came on and the birds stopping singing for a minute. temps dropped 7 degrees too. the low light was really messing with my eyes. was starting to think that my "approved" glasses were garbage, but now that its pretty much over, I can see normal again. will be interesting to hear what people in the 100% totality path have to say.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #98

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomH View Post
We were in Portland last week and it was hotter and had dirtier air than the CA Central Vly. The smoke had my eyes burning and my asthma was trying to trigger.
I'm sure this was because of ths smoke from the fires in Canada, all that nasty is gone now.

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 01:01 PM   #99

Solar Eclipse - 8/21/2017

Happened at 233 Eastern. 1.5 min of totality. Pretty cool.

I was next to the patch of woods and it was really weird how the insects started up right when it started to get dark. It also dropped from the 90s to the 70s in a matter of minutes. Very strange. The heat is just now coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #100

Wonderful experience, glad we made the almost 700 mile drive to see the full eclipse. Worth every mile! Now we're heading out east across Idaho just to see what there is to see.

Tags
solar eclipse 2017