Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DosMars View Post
Dibs on these brackets...???
Haha! All yours if ya want 'em.
PM me if ya want so we can lock it down.

MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBikeRoamer View Post
Okay --- here's a list of all the "swap / sell / FREE" stuff that's itching to depart from my garage:

1) Fiamma F45 Awning - for parts or serious rebuild effort --- FREE
(Fabric has substantial tear, and this needs **both** of the main lateral folding supports, but rolling mechanism, uprights, and main structure is good....still, it's a project....)
I don't know if I can make it to the meetup but I wouldn't mind taking the awning off your hands. I like a good project, and I know a couple good seamstresses that might be able to repair the fabric for me.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:23 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
I don't know if I can make it to the meetup but I wouldn't mind taking the awning off your hands. I like a good project, and I know a couple good seamstresses that might be able to repair the fabric for me.
Heyo BenJJ ---
Dude, it's yours if you want it....! At this point you've got dibs. But I want to be super forthright (with whomever is considering taking it on) about what parts it needs (again.) It could totally be fixed and made awesome if you make your own fabric for it! But the missing hardware would need to be sourced somehow. Here's a rundown and description of what the awning needs:

1) These Fiamma awnings have a total of 4 separate "struts" --- two are the vertical ones that support the awning vertically (go from the awning to the ground) and two are the lateral ones that support the awning between the van and the outboard end of the awning when its folded out. It's those LATERAL ones that are missing......(I used them to fix another beat-up awning that I acquired from ghetto_fireman.....) No idea how much those would cost to purchase through Fiamma as replacement parts....but maybe Ray (1der) could get you the parts at a good deal. (***He's about to put an order in with Fiamma for a bunch of complete awnings and a few spare parts for some of the other guys too.....maybe you can be part of that group order and save even more money on shipping......***)

2) As mentioned before, the awning has a complete missing section of fabric, about 6" wide or so, that runs edge-to-edge on one side of the fabric (about 6" in from the side.) This was already torn out when I acquired the awning. It always worked fine, rolling in / out, but it just looks rag-tag.

3) The plastic end-cap (at the end where the rolling mechanism is housed) is gone. The sun exposure totally did it in....to the point that it just got brittle like an eggshell and crumbled to dust. The end cap on the other end is still present, but is similarly on the highway to a brittle break-apart soon too.

Exploded Part Diagram that (I think) is for this particular F45 awning:
(The parts that are missing are highlighted in Orange.)

Fiamma USA lists/sells replacement parts for its awnings, that's where this exploded view with part numbers came from.

FIAMMA USA LINK:
F45 Ti Polar White 190-450

Old 05-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Heyo BenJJ ---
Dude, it's yours if you want it....! At this point you've got dibs. But I want to be super forthright (with whomever is considering taking it on) about what parts it needs (again.) It could totally be fixed and made awesome if you make your own fabric for it! But the missing hardware would need to be sourced somehow. Here's a rundown and description of what the awning needs:

1) These Fiamma awnings have a total of 4 separate "struts" --- two are the vertical ones that support the awning vertically (go from the awning to the ground) and two are the lateral ones that support the awning between the van and the outboard end of the awning when its folded out. It's those LATERAL ones that are missing......(I used them to fix another beat-up awning that I acquired from ghetto_fireman.....) No idea how much those would cost to purchase through Fiamma as replacement parts....but maybe Ray (1der) could get you the parts at a good deal. (***He's about to put an order in with Fiamma for a bunch of complete awnings and a few spare parts for some of the other guys too.....maybe you can be part of that group order and save even more money on shipping......***)

2) As mentioned before, the awning has a complete missing section of fabric, about 6" wide or so, that runs edge-to-edge on one side of the fabric (about 6" in from the side.) This was already torn out when I acquired the awning. It always worked fine, rolling in / out, but it just looks rag-tag.

3) The plastic end-cap (at the end where the rolling mechanism is housed) is gone. The sun exposure totally did it in....to the point that it just got brittle like an eggshell and crumbled to dust. The end cap on the other end is still present, but is similarly on the highway to a brittle break-apart soon too.

Fiamma USA lists/sells replacement parts for its awnings, that's where this exploded view with part numbers came from.

FIAMMA USA LINK:

Looks very doable! I think I can 3D print the missing end cap. I wonder if fiamma would send me a solid model of it... worst case I can model it myself assuming it is a mirror image of the other end cap. If the fabric portion currently works I would probably just use it as is and accept a slight reduction in the amount of shade it provides. Obviously the fun part will be the lateral supports. I will pm you about pickup if I can't make it to the meetup.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #15

That right end cap is definitely different than the left one. It covers the gears that extend and return the awning and is shaped accordingly.

Interesting if you could 3-D print it. Mine took one too many branches on a tight section of dirt road a while back and wound up missing...
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 11:35 AM   #16

Quote:
That right end cap is definitely different than the left one. It covers the gears that extend and return the awning and is shaped accordingly.

Interesting if you could 3-D print it. Mine took one too many branches on a tight section of dirt road a while back and wound up missing...
If I had a solid model or a non-broken part I could definitely 3D print it. Bummer that i can't use the left one. I still might be able to 3D print a cap that covers the end but if there are functional internal features to the cap and it isn't just a hollow cover then that would be an issue.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
If I had a solid model or a non-broken part I could definitely 3D print it. Bummer that i can't use the left one. I still might be able to 3D print a cap that covers the end but if there are functional internal features to the cap and it isn't just a hollow cover then that would be an issue.
Mine popped off pretty easily. Can you 3-D scan remotely? I'll bet there will be someone at the get together next month that would let you pop it off for a look...
Old 05-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Mine popped off pretty easily. Can you 3-D scan remotely? I'll bet there will be someone at the get together next month that would let you pop it off for a look...
I would need the part for at least a day. I don't have a 3D scanner so I would just be modeling it manually on solidworks using a pair of calipers.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #19

Garage
Hey BenJJ ---

FYI, the end caps for this particular awning don't seem to be identical to the end caps on some of the newer Fiamma awnings. This awning was on my '95, and the one I swapped parts back/forth with was circa 2006....they weren't the same. So if someone loans you an end cap, it might not be the right "vintage" to match up.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Heyo BenJJ ---

FIAMMA USA LINK:

Those three highlighted parts just happen to be the parts I need for my F45 awning.
I Emailed Fiamma and got back these current prices:

Right winch cover is $18 plus $15 UPS shipping.
The 05577A01A & 05577A01 (Lateral supports) are $255 each and also $25 each to ship for a total of $560.

Looks like they make a pretty penny on shipping! I'd be interested if anyone can source the aluminum strut that the lateral supports are made of.