Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 03:42 PM   #1

Southern Utah Trip - Need Advice!

So in a couple weeks Kongbus and I are departing southern California and heading to Utah for some fun on the trails/parks/whatever else we find. Ill be in my agile 4x4, and he'll be in his newly upgraded 6.0 with locker and shocks.

Below was the original plan

He is coming from SF and leaving a day early, ill meet him Friday night right off the 15 in the preserve. we'll take 2 days to get back to San Clemente at the end.

Problem is we are obviously trying to do too much. 2 other people are coming with us and we are meeting later this week to try and prioritize places.

I really want to go to White Pocket and Alstrom point. Is Moab really a do not miss?

Leaning against Zion, as that will always be there for later trips down the road with family, etc.

Any advice on the area in general would be great. But we are mainly looking to get on as many backroads as possible, get away from people and drink beer. A couple hikes here and there and a touristy day or two would be good as well.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #2

Garage
Personally....
I would go from Arches across the road straight to Canyonlands NP and do the White Rim Road. Reserve a campsite on the road for the night of 5/18, near the end of the road, skipping Moab, except for gas and pizza at Pasta Jay's. If you do the road Counter Clockwise you can be headed back toward Moab to prep for the ride home.
2000 4Runner Limited 4WD

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
skyrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 PM   #3

I really want to do that trail, a little worried about the second van though. I've read mixed reviews on the state of the road.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #4

Arches is great, but unless you really want to stand around pondering the rocks and S*%$ you could do it in a few hours. I would skip Zion too. It's amazing and my family can spend days and days there hiking. You could put it off for a trip in and of itself.

I don't know how you can revise your loop as well as some here but for an amazing SMB trip I would definitely consider White Pocket, White Rim Trail and no reason not to goof around Moab a little and maybe drive through Arches since you are that close.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #5

Capitol Reef National Park is really cool and often overlooked. Lots of dirt roads to explore, and not too many people around. https://www.nps.gov/care/index.htm

I agree about Zion. Beautiful, but awfully crowded. We got up super-early two days in a row and did a bike ride at daybreak up into the canyon. Amazing, and almost empty of people (in fact, the second day, we were the only ones out and about in the canyon until we started riding back). Rent bikes outside the park if you don't have them with you. It's an easy ride and you won't regret it. One of my top-five bike rides, ever.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:58 PM   #6

I just did White Rim about 3 weeks ago in my van. Awesome trip and we got the best campsite there is on the trail (White Crack).
I wouldn't recommend a 2wd van on the White Rim. It would do fine up until near Murphy's and Hardscrabble.

There's plenty to do outside of Moab. One of my favorite areas is west of there in the Robber's Roost country. I can point you towards routes and campsites if you're interested.
saline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

How are the switchbacks going into and coming out of the white rim??

I did them on a mountain bike 22 years ago, so i am a little foggy. I do remember that it was an amazing place. We camped 3 nights or so. About 20 miles in, Airport Butte, some place by the river on our last night. Nothing like dawn on the canyon.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

The switchbacks are fine and you don't need 4wd dropping into or climbing out of the White Rim.
I would say though that 4wd is needed on Murphy's Hogback and especially on Hardscrabble Hill.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:06 PM   #9

what if i give him a tug haha
Old 04-25-2017, 09:31 PM   #10

Perhaps that's doable.