Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1

Garage
spotted at bogus basin hillcimb, boise idaho.

the owner of this car, and fellow van owner.

for the life of me i cant remember your screen name. regardless, it was great meeting you and we're really glad you (and your friend) came so far to participate in our little gathering. i wanted to get in more van talk with ya, but helping put on these events takes a lot of my bs'ing time away.

any plans to return next year? also, how did you hear about our event? i meant to ask you these things, but i didnt want to keep you and your buddy from gettin to that pig any longer than i already had, lol.

oh and btw, nice time you put down! very respectable for your first weekend on the hill.

"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #2

Re: spotted at bogus basin hillcimb, boise idaho.

Hey shenrie!

This is Dominic, AKA 'djm68'.

It was great to meet you and all the great folks who put on Bogus Basin -- that was an amazing event! At first I was reluctant to drive so far for one event, but I am certainly glad that I did!

It was great to see another big rig like yours -- you can check the gallery to see some pics of my rig.

I do plan to return next year, hopefully with a trailer behind the van this time! It was not so great driving the Porsche that far -- it is not exactly a comfy car on such a long drive, with no A/C, no radio, hard suspension, race seats! On the way back to Portland I got stuck in a big rain storm outside of Baker City -- the semi-slicks I was running do not like wet. Had to sit it out!

I've know about Bogus Basin for a long time (and Freeze Out too) since I have been an NHA member since 2006. Mostly, I've run at Larison Rock, Bible Creek, Maryhill and (once) Cascade Lakes - the first three are reasonably close to Portland.

The BBQ on Saturday was over-the-top -- the pig was amazing!

Look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Dominic
djm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #3

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm68
It was great to meet you and all the great folks who put on Bogus Basin -- that was an amazing event! At first I was reluctant to drive so far for one event, but I am certainly glad that I did!
bb isnt my event, but we help out wilkie as much as possible. regardless, its really nice to see postive feedback from first timers on the hill, so thanks to you in return!!

Quote:
It was great to see another big rig like yours -- you can check the gallery to see some pics of my rig.
ha, it is exactly the same. love it...not that im partial or anything, lol. how built up is the inside...do you have a build thread or anything?

Quote:
I do plan to return next year, hopefully with a trailer behind the van this time!
thats great news, and news we love to hear! we are a long ways away from all the other nha events, and it does keep attendance down some, but the people that venture our way, most always return, and thats how we like it!

any plans for freezeout? my wife and i chair that event and driver count is usually down 10 from bogus. its also a lot better hill to spectate as well. from a good vantage point up top, you can see 75-80% of the course. not quite the speeds as bogus, but ive been 100 mph across the finish in more than one car.

Quote:
It was not so great driving the Porsche that far -- it is not exactly a comfy car on such a long drive, with no A/C, no radio, hard suspension, race seats! On the way back to Portland I got stuck in a big rain storm outside of Baker City -- the semi-slicks I was running do not like wet. Had to sit it out!
do not envy. those tires even when brand new are really no weathers friend...even on an evo. how long did you have to wait out the weather?

and totally agree, no matter how you slice it, a car setup for racing, generally doesnt make a real cushy road tripper...not that i havent drove to a few hillclimbs in similar setups

Quote:
I've know about Bogus Basin for a long time (and Freeze Out too) since I have been an NHA member since 2006. Mostly, I've run at Larison Rock, Bible Creek, Maryhill and (once) Cascade Lakes - the first three are reasonably close to Portland.
i became a member around 97 and still have yet to travel to your neck of the woods. i just dont have any lifelines over that way to fall back on. so ive only ran bogus, freezeout, targhee, and poineer, all relitively close to home. once our van is setup (and i build another racecar, lol), we WILL be at some or all of the events you listed above. been dreaming about it for years, but its hard to get all our camping gear and racing gear in a civic

Quote:
The BBQ on Saturday was over-the-top -- the pig was amazing!
i will definitely pass on the comps. that was his first attempt at a pig, and from the looks of what was left, he did good. the chef is a very good friend of mine. hes fell on hard times lately and the car we built is down with not enough funds to get it going again, but once its done, we will both be making an honest effort to hit more events in the circuit. hopefully i can convience my wife to start running the hills again. she had a pretty bad experience the second event at pioneer. she did snowboard tricks in a civic (360 to mtn tailtap, and back to road, followed by a 45 minute ambulance ride into town), and promised her mom she would stop racing...but its been a few years and i think shes getting the bug again...fingers crossed. shes got skills and a few queen trophies kickin round the house. she really needs to be running.

...oh, and thiers talk about ribs next year

Quote:
Look forward to hearing from you!

thanks man, and im glad you saw my thread. i searched for a long time trying to pinpoint the sn you told me with no luck.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 09-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

shenrie,

I've posted some build info here:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=11871

And I've emailed you my private email address so we can discuss racing stuff off the forums.

Cheers,
Dominic
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #5

Man I love 911's, I have owned 6 to date this being the only photo of my last 1995 Carrera C4 cabrio

Something was lost when they went to water cooled engines, "I will own a 1994 Turbo 964" and it will be the last one I ever buy...
By the way nice Cayman.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Here's mine hence my screen name everywhere
Raced dsm, evos, porsche

Great community here also.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloturbo
Raced dsm, evos, porsche

Damn nice SC my friend!! I can't tell from the side, but it looks to be an 83-88 era...need to see the hood lines.
Buck
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Man I love 911's, I have owned 6 to date this being the only photo of my last 1995 Carrera C4 cabrio

Something was lost when they went to water cooled engines, "I will own a 1994 Turbo 964" and it will be the last one I ever buy...
By the way nice Cayman.
Buck
Nice Cab, Buck. I like 911's as well, in fact, at sometime in the not too distant future I'll likely build up an early air cooled with a 3.6 for my track car. When I ordered my Cayman I also looked at 911's, but the newer 911's are too much of a Grand Touring car vs. a hardcore sports car. The 2012 911 Carrera S would have cost around $110k, and the Cayman R is actually faster. The only modern 911 that really interests me is the 997 GT3's which are nearly 2x the price of my Cayman. It is often said that the Cayman is what the 911 used to be: a small, light, 'intimate', dedicated sports car. At all of my hillclimb events I easily beat the 997 based 911 Carrera's in my class (SCCA Super Stock), not to mention a tuned and modified 996 twin turbo 911! :-)

Cheers,
DJM
Old 09-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #9

Garage

nice cars gents! other than djm, either of you to ever take your cars to any events?

I just saw your build thread, great looking rig! ill go check my emails...im really bad about that, hahaha.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
Quote:
Originally Posted by poloturbo
Raced dsm, evos, porsche

Damn nice SC my friend!! I can't tell from the side, but it looks to be an 83-88 era...need to see the hood lines.
Buck

Thanks man

It's a 1987 Porsche 930

Very nice 993.
poloturbo is offline   Reply With Quote