Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #21

Re: Spring Break in Baja Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by deminimis
No reason you can't take the little nipper to Baja. We first took "The Boy" to Baja when he was 3 months old (the Girl didn't go until she was 3 years old). Humm, now that I think about it, perhaps we imprinted him a bit early:
Nice one! Great picture

We're ready to take them down there this year, and have a southerly road trip planned for April. They're 2 and 4 now and excellent travelers - there's not much they like more than traveling in the van and going camping! I'll definitely be hitting up you Baja veterans for trip advice closer to the time.

Anyway, sorry to derail your planning thread!

mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #22

Well, should your schedule change, would love to have you along.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #23

Thank you!
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 AM   #24

If you guys can change your plans I'd really appreciate it. Please don't leave me stuck traveling with a dually pickup....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #25

We're definitely crossing at Tecate. Staying at Potero campground the evening before crossing. Many folks on Baja Nomad recommend it. http://www.sdcounty.ca.gov/parks/Camping/potrero.html

My Cognito leveling kit arrived yesterday. Looks like I'll be busy this weekend. Ordered bags for the rear yesterday. If only I had the money, time and room to bring a pair of Super Singles for out back with some hyper-aggressive tread for the beach.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #26

Hey guys, we're headed down from Mexicali March 14th or so. Going to camp our way down the east side. I'd love to bump into you guys somewhere. Scatter, if you don't mind PM-ing me some info (coordinates) we can stop by and say hey.

Going to be a crazy trip for me. 5 adults in the van. Ouch.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #27

A slight tweak. The boss doesn't feel like going down to La Ventana. So that will put us in the Conception Bay area around the 17th. The boss wants to go fishing with some friends out of Loreto, so that might delay us by a day. Will figure that out today or tomorrow. We'll camp on the 16th five miles south of GN near the whale panga tours. Let's decide on a CB channel.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:25 AM   #28

You are going to be way ahead of us deminimissss. We probably won't even cross until the 15th. Most of our trip will be creeping down the east side. We were planning on visiting La Ventana and Los Barriles though. I don't remember your timeline. You may be heading out when we get to Loreto or Mulege. We'll watch for you. How about a picture of this monster you are creating.

CB channel good idea. Pick a number.

tom.

https://sportsmobile4x4.blogspot.com/
panion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:17 PM   #29

We're not crossing until the 16th (64 gal tank install on the 15th in San Bernardino). We're just beating feet down Mex 1, then slowly working North. We can do this. Haven't heard from Scatter in a while, but I think we were tentatively looking at Conception Bay for a few days around the 19th?? We might end up there a day or two early, but I have a feeling we'll be there a while. I'll PM you my email which is way, way easier.

Okay, a couple different sources site channel 13 is for inter-tourist talk and channel 11 for caravans. I've seen RV caravans down there using channel 23 as well. For purposes of this trip, let's just make it channel 13 unless its crowded. Then channel 11 and 23 in that order.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #30

Tom,

Wasn't paying attention. The San Felipe 250 is this weekend I guess. Don't know if you've traveled in the area of a race down there before or not, but if not, be warned, it can be downright dangerous. You will be on the same roads that are being used by chase vehicles and the actual racers. For me, that's a huge plus and it almost has me wondering about a quick change in plans to head over to the east side right from the get-go. However, that's not going to happen (largely because we'd miss the race as it will be over on Sunday). You're crossing on 15th, so the race will be over, but you might be dealing with a bunch of adrenaline junkies heading back to the states that are passing lines of cars and heading right at you on the two-lane with race trailers in tow and little intention of slowing down. Something to think about. If that quickens the heart and its to your liking, great. If not, you guys are more than welcome to caravan with us down Mex 1 on Tuesday. Not as interesting as the east side, buts gets you south relatively fast and then you can make up for it on the trip North like we're doing. The part that is most interesting, to me, on the east side is the road south of Puertocitos to Gonzaga and Calamuge (I'm misspelling it). after that, you meet up with Mex 1 anyway to get to points south, Bof LA, what have you. Anyway, the invite is open. If not, we'll still catch up with you around Conception Bay.

We're staying around this area the first night (5 miles south of GN on the bay):