Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Spring Gonzaga Bay Fishing Report

We went down to Gonzaga Bay, B.C., Mexico for a week over spring break.

Fishing off the kayak was SLOW. I dragged a krockadile around the big island without a bite.

Over the course of the week I caught corbina, sierra, trigger fish, and rose spotted snapper. I caught two of the rose snappers, the first two for me as a species.

Mr. Bosco REALLY likes fish.

Lots of red tide and extremely low tides, the Fernandez girls harvested three, 5 gallon buckets of rock scallops without even getting wet.

The new road is now paved and open all the way to Okies landing, and well graded for 5 miles to past Punta Isabel. The last 15 miles were 5-8 mph like it all used to be.

We went down during the San Felipe 250 SCORE race, probably the most dangerous part of the trip with all the racerchaser wantabes on the road.

Two SMB sightings, one going north at the hwy 5/hwy 3 military checkpoint, and one going south 75 miles south of Mexicali.

Great weather for the whole week, no wind, no humidity, temps of 55-75 degrees F., probably the best we have ever had at Gonzaga Bay.

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:31 AM   #2

Re: Spring Gonzaga Bay Fishing Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
Lots of red tide and extremely low tides, the Fernandez girls harvested three, 5 gallon buckets of rock scallops without even getting wet.
Hmmm, eating shellfish? -- Do we mean the same thing here by "red tide"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

-- Geoff
Old 03-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #3

Re: Spring Gonzaga Bay Fishing Report

Quote:
Hmmm, eating shellfish? -- Do we mean the same thing here by "red tide"
Yes we mean the same thing, but it is different than what you see in Southern California, it is streaks of Dinoflagelate blooms, not the overall brown water that smells bad everywhere.

One of the old names for the SOC or GOC is the Vermilion Sea because of the red tide.

I was raised to not eat bi-valve filter feeders "when the fire dances on the water" at night, but the locals dont really seem to care.
jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote