Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2009, 01:27 PM   #1

Suggestions for PA to TX trip

Picking up Van at Quigley to take it to Austin to get SMB-ized this week. I plan to stop in or near Knoxville and then Little Rock before reaching Austin.

Does anyone have any "can't miss" places to see or to eat along the way?

It will be a lot of driving, but I'm sure we can take an hour or two to stop somewhere worthwhile....

sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #2

Re: Suggestions for PA to TX trip

Hit the Riverfront Market district in down town Little Rock. They have a submarine you can visit and even rent out to spend the night in. The Market area is cool with music ,food, art ,ect and even though I wasn't a Bill Clinton fan his library right down the street is super cool! Upstream 6 or so miles on the Arkansas river is "The Big Dam Bridge" It's a new walkway over the Arkansas river on top of the lock and dam bridge. Best you will find bicycle trail along the river especially the north side if thats your thing. You can watch ships and boats lock through the dam right underneath of you. If you need a short great hike find Pinacle mountain state park just a few miles west of town. About a half hour hike to the top overlooking the Arkansas river, lake Maumell and what they call mountains. I luv that hike.
Hot Springs Arkansas has an old bath house row from the roaring 20's. Cool town and cool history. About 50 miles sw of Little Rock and neat if you like old stuff. They also have lake Hamilton where you can rent jet skies and take a steak dinner boat ride. Hit the gas dock as soon as you cross the lake. They hire fine southern bells to pump gas in bikines. It's well worth the 5 bucks a gallon just to let them fill up your boat!
Memphis is a death trap and god awfull place but Graceland is worth a stop. Watch yourself because crime is horendous. A tad out of the way to Little Rock is a small rivertown called Devalls Bluff. They in fact do have the worlds best old time black slave type authentic BBQ. It's a poor dirty place but the sanwiches are the best. Hit the pie shop across the street if Craigs BBQ is out of personall pies. OMG now thats eating! Just ask anybody in town and you will find it. But don't go if you arn't wanting to eat.
If your a sailboat racer then let me know. Lake Maumell has some of the worlds best sail boat skippers in the worlds and often need crew on weekends. It's a weird location to have a world class sailing organization but it does. Does this site have spell check or do I need to keep posting like I lived in Arkansas? Texas is hot so plan to get in and get out but if you can enjoy the Arkansas water then it's got 3 of the cleanest lakes in the country. Lake Quachita outside of Hot springs is cool if you want to rent a boat or sleep on a house boat is worth it. Bring your scuba gear. A quick stop by Lake Degray on your way out of Hot Springs has a great public swimming beach. Colledge town nearby makes it good for sight seeing if you pass thru in the daytime. Have fun and post picts. Oh and don't miss beal street in Memphis if you are there in the evening.
Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 04:53 PM   #3

Garage

I say drive as fast as you can!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #4

Hi,

Little bit North of Little Rock there is the Gerrs Ferry Lake, just a beutiful Lake to relax and enjoy your SMB

Mike
nalle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 07:23 PM   #5

Thanks Stumpalump for all the great ideas. I had originally planned to make this a little longer trip, but my wife bailed, so I'm doing the drive with my son in a four day schedule.

Given the short time, I'm going to try to get to Little Rock early on the second day and go to the Riverfront Market District you suggested.

I'm definitely going to try for the BBQ since one of my goals for this trip is to stay out of chain restaurants.

Hot Springs will have to wait for a trip with my wife, I think she'd get a kick out of the history and old stuff.

I'm not a sailboat racer - I'm a windsurfer - but I have sailed or powerboated since I was a kid.

Texas is hot, but it couldn't possibly be hotter than Florida! Between the heat, humidity and hummingbird-sized mosquitoes, I feel like I live in a swamp this time of year. I'd like to get to Bird Island Basin in the Padre Island National Seashore and windsurf, if not this trip, then after SMB-TX finishes my conversion...
sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote