Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitH View Post
Schluchtenflitzer continues to eclipse the "get and use your van" spectrum.... I'll be in the Jackson/Teton Valley area July 6th-12th Eric if you're still around. I'm guessing you'll be headed back east though.
Very true, however, since Mozambique is in the Southern Hemisphere, Schluchtenflitzer posting in the wrong thread since he is in Winter not Summer. So the rest of you can compete for the best location.

Just teasing by the way.

Herb

Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM   #22

Newfoundland at the end of July through the end of August
hogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 PM   #23

Garage
Sucks about the fires.

I'm in Missoula until tomorrow. Then south in western MT, maybe a little ID. I'll head to WY in a week or so. Staying away from that NE corner of WY though, likely too many people now for me. So I'll likely be North of you unless you change your mind.

I need to be a little east of Lovell WY on the 30th.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:45 PM   #24

Cheating because we’re not in our SMB, but still a good road trip. Seattle to Anchorage and around Alaska, 25 days, in a rental cabover truck camper. Brand-new F350 with an Alp Adventurer camper. Nice rig with lots of amenities that our SMB doesn’t have. But we agree we still prefer #vanlife. Especially since this beast with the 6.2l gasser is only getting 9 mpg and gas is $4+/gallon!

Currently in Skagway, Alaska, last night and tonight. Beautiful weather. Last night at the very nice, free, Dyea Flats town campground. Tonight at the very overpriced ($47) Skagway downtown campground near the small boat harbor, looking at the giant cruise ships. Off to Whitehorse and Dawson tomorrow!

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:32 PM   #25

Nice Brian! The fact that a new truck only gets 9 mpg is a crime. I’d like to think it’s the profile of the camper but I’ve heard otherwise about the 6.2l. It’s a hog all around.

We skipped the fire zones altogether. Spent a few days hiking at the North Rim, Zion and Bryce and meandered through Escalante/Capitol Reef for a few more. We’re at Rocky Mountain now enjoying some cooler weather. Skipped the Moab area completely and hated to but damn it’s hot there!
Another day here and it’s time to start working our way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:19 PM   #26

Garage
We're headed to Missoula on July 5, spending a night in Durango, 2 on the Middle Provo River in Utah, and 2 in Bozeman. Then we're off for 3 days near Philipsburg, 3 days in Missoula, and 2 nights in Couer d' Alene. Finally we're on our way home via Boise (2 nights), and Moab (2 nights).

We won't get in to Durango 'til late because we're leaving after the son gets off work. Then we'll do some fly fishing in Utah, and visit teacher friends in Bozeman.

Family from Missoula and back East will meet us in P'burg, where we've rented a cabin on Flint Creek. We'll fish on Flint and Rock Creeks and drink lotsa beer at the Philipsburg Brewery. Then back to MSO for a few of the regular things - beer at Kettlehouse, ice cream at the Big Dipper, Lemondairy!, Maybe a trip to the smokejumpers or the Nat'l Bison range, etc. Maybe some fishing too.

Then we'll visist Van Compass for skids, suspension, and a ladder. I have family in Boise I've not seen since I was a little kid. Same for Moab, haven't been there since Arches was a National Monument.

We are hoping for some good fishing, but water still looks high in Utah, and super-huge-high in Montana. Anyway, there's no such thing as bad fishing. Oh, we are so looking forward to it!
velo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:55 PM   #27

Sounds great! We just completed a two week 2,800 mile loop that included California, Nevada, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and then back to California. Great country to see!
Old 06-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #28

My wife just retired from the oil patch up in northern Alaska (known as the north slope, as far north in Alaska as you can go) at the end of May. So far this summer we have been going on local Alaska trips with our van to Homer, Denali National Park, and the Chugach mountains.

We leave Anchorage on July 15th and head northeast, back to the Yukon where we will explore in more detail areas we have trapesed through in the past. We then plan on taking our time traveling across the southern part of Canada all the way to Nova Scotia and hopefully Newfoundland before heading to Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire. Eventually working our way back to Sedona (to our winter home) by mid-October. No hard agenda, no real final destination, no pressure, and absolutely no real timeline. This is the time we’ve been waiting for!
akfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #29

Akfiredude,

I am very jealous. Your time has come and it sounds like you are making the most of it. Best wishes for your adventures, and share with the group occassionally so we can follow along!
wish41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish41 View Post
Akfiredude,

I am very jealous. Your time has come and it sounds like you are making the most of it. Best wishes for your adventures, and share with the group occassionally so we can follow along!
Wish41, thank you for your kind wishes! Yes, we've been planning this for nearly 10 years (the van travel lifestyle of go where we want, when we want to) and now that we are both retired it is now here.

We picked our van up in SMB TX in March and have been enjoying it for the most part (we've had some SMB and Mercedes issues that we have been trying to resolve). I hope to get the details of our SMB build, issues with the van, resolutions, and our trip north to Alaska posted sometime in the near future.

I need to share our experience due to all of the hope & help that this forum has given me over the years!

Paul
akfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote