Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2015, 10:39 PM   #31

Garage
Re: Summer trip planning, CO/AZ/UT/WY

Eric,

Several campgrounds between Alpine and Jackson. Actually, between Alpine and Hoback Junction, which is about 15 miles south of Jackson. I've never stayed at any of them but there must be 4 or 5.

Shadow Mountain is good, either at the bottom, which is the first area you come to, or up near the top. Lots of places to pull out along the road to the top. Great views of the mountains from the bottom and if you can find a spot on the west side of the road as you near the top.

There is no campground at Pacific Creek in the Park. You can turn left off of Pacific Creek Road, just past the road to Two Ocean Lake. It will take you North/Northeast out of the Park and onto National Forest. I'm sure you can boondock somewhere along that road. Not sure how far down the road to leave the Park, but not very far.

I've never explored much East of Moran Junction except the Buffalo Valley area. Buffalo Valley Road is about 4 or 5 miles east of Moran. It is about 10 miles long and then dead ends. Good road to explore in the fall when the aspens are turning color, but not as good in June. If you are in need of a shower, there is a KOA about 6 miles east of Moran and you don't have to be staying there to use it. Prices are reasonable for a shower. Colter Bay also has pay showers for the public to use.

As you mentioned, you can almost always get a camp spot at Lizard Creek.

Let me know when you'll be in the Tetons. I may be in the Park myself if it's a weekend.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Old 06-09-2015, 10:46 PM   #32

Garage

Eric,

Forgot to mention that we see quite a lot of moose along the Buffalo Valley Road. The river meanders along the right side of the road and there are lots of willows.
The road actually loops back to the highway after you cross the river but it has been closed the times we were there. It may be open and would make a nice detour if you are looking for wildlife.

Mike
Old 06-10-2015, 07:54 AM   #33

Thanks a lot Mike! I'm thinking that we'll be in the Jackson/Teton area during the week though, probably about June 30/July 1 til about the 4th, but we'll have to be rolling towards home by Saturday.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
BrianW, it sounds pretty likely that we might cross paths. Our 'destinations' are Zion for 2-3 days and then up to the Tetons for 2-3 days. Everything else is 'on the way'. If you are in the area I just posted about I strongly recommend you rent a Jeep for a day (+/- $150) and check out the trails around Ouray and Silverton. Heck, join us for a great loop over Imogene Pass! We first did this in a Jeep and doing it in the van will be a fun time.

Will definitely try to keep updated and it would be great to meet up.

We drove Imogene in late September years ago in our 91 Isuzu Trooper. Terrified my wife (and scared me a bit to be honest) because it was snowing and slippery on the backside descent. Nevertheless, I was thinking of renting a Jeep while we are out there and doing some trails.
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #35

Awesome. Yep, let's keep in touch.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn
You should see lots of signs for Silverjack rez and just follow those. You will also see lots of signs for Owl Creek Pass which will be Ouray county road 10 which will take you to Ridgeway. Durango... I live there so come on down.
What Eddy said. Thanks for jumping in... Been having reception trouble here in bumblescratch WI.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKRyan
There is no campground at Pacific Creek in the Park. You can turn left off of Pacific Creek Road, just past the road to Two Ocean Lake. It will take you North/Northeast out of the Park and onto National Forest. I'm sure you can boondock somewhere along that road. Not sure how far down the road to leave the Park, but not very far.

I've never explored much East of Moran Junction except the Buffalo Valley area. Buffalo Valley Road is about 4 or 5 miles east of Moran. It is about 10 miles long and then dead ends. Good road to explore in the fall when the aspens are turning color, but not as good in June.
As it turns out I met a resident of Pacific Creek Rd the day after I met Mike. He pointed out the road to me, but warned me other residents are sensitive to tourists overnighting on the road. Be careful if you choose to stay there. As for east of Moran Jctn... I used to overnight all the time at the Togwatee Pass scenic view overlook (has a pit toitie), but I believe they have signed it "no camping" (which I ignored). It was closed and buried in snow when I was there in April, so I stayed at the closure gate on an also-closed forest road which I believe was Buffalo Valley. I've also parked up the road there a bit when it has been open.
2014 Ford RB
SMB 4x4
GrumpyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #38

I'm sort of bummed that Imogene Pass is still closed due to snow. Does anyone familiar with the area know if it typically opens about this time, or is this a bad year for snow up there? Many of the other passes (Engineer, etc. on the other side of the hwy) are already open. I really want to run this in the SMB. I guess last time I was there (in a rented Jeep) it was later in the summer.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #39
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Scotty
I'm sort of bummed that Imogene Pass is still closed due to snow. Does anyone familiar with the area know if it typically opens about this time, or is this a bad year for snow up there? Many of the other passes (Engineer, etc. on the other side of the hwy) are already open. I really want to run this in the SMB. I guess last time I was there (in a rented Jeep) it was later in the summer.

No real knowledge here but it's been a wet spring and the forecast says it's going til continue wet so normal may not apply. We're still thinking about parking ourselves outside of Silverton for a bit but I'd be surprised if any backcountry roads are plotted or clear yet. May/will change by the time you get here.

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #40

Thanks Don