Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #1
Spr

Telluride, Durango, Imogene pass, alpine loop etc.

Hello,
The girlfriend and I are heading west on a last minute spontaneous trip to southern Colorado (Durango and Telluride area). We plan on getting to the area Tuesday 9-4 and are looking for any advice and or possible meetups. It looks like we will be coming in through Denver and then looping south around 285 and 160 through Durango and eventually heading home through Telluride to Grand Junction and back East through Denver.

We just started planning the insanely last minute trip so I figured I would shoot off a couple questions to those familiar with the area:

1. Is anyone interested in a meet up for some of the trails/loops? If so let me know
  2. Any issues for a RB 4x4 van on Imogene pass, Ophir pass, Alpine loop, Cinnamon pass?
  3. Are there any other must do drives while in this general area?
  4. Is it better to head from one way to the other or does it not really matter?
  5. Any great camping spots in the general area?
  6. Any must do hikes while in the general area?
  7. Most importantly are there any must visit brewery's
I know some of this has been touched on in various threads so I tried to ask questions that didn't seem to be addressed. I also read a good write up on the badger trek website from the 2006ish rally. Any other advice is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks much

-Shaun

Spr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:33 PM   #2

1. Totally interested.....but home and working in Tennessee and I have no 4x van at the moment.
2. Ophir is a breeze, Imogene has been done by many in SMB's, I've only done it in a Jeep and it was no problem at all. I recommend going up Camp Bird Rd. out of Ouray to Immogene. I can't tell you the whole way but I'm sure many can, or get a map from one of the Jeep rental places in town. We did not do the whole Alpine Loop or Cinnamon but some of the loop is pretty technical! There are tons of roads/trails up there, just use a GPS so you don't get lost and well.....get lost!

Oh, did I mention I'm really jealous? Been trying to get back for a long while. I thought it was all closed due to wildfire earlier this summer. Sure it's all open?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 07:57 AM   #3

I did Imogene from Telluride to Ouray a few weeks ago in my Land Cruiser. I think you will be fine ascending from and descending to Telluride. The Ouray side has several ledges that scraped my back bumper with mild lift, larger tires, and armor bumper. I'm sure either side is passable, but Ouray side is likely to cause light damage unless you have a good departure angle.