Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Tetons - Twice the Fun

If you want to stay in the Park then you have to be at an established Park campground.

Gros Ventre Campground is along the Gros Ventre River on the South end of the Park and is the closest to the town of Jackson. It is large and spots are usually available except during the busiest of weekends.

Jenny Lake Campground is on the interior road at Jenny Lake. It is smaller in size, tents only and is very popular so it fills up early.

Signal Mountain Campground is on Jackson Lake. It's not too large and it also fills up early on weekends. Signal Mountain also has a general store, fuel, and restaurant and cabins.

Colter Bay has a campground, RV park and cabins. There is also a general store, showers and a restaurant. The campground is large but fairly popular so it quite often fills up on weekends. There is also fuel at Colter Bay.

Lizard Creek is at the North end of the Park. It's not that close to the popular 'attractions' but is one of my favorite. It sits on Jackson Lake and hardly ever fills up.

Shadow Mountain is on the road past the Gros Ventre campground and sits just off the Park boundary on the East side. You can see the view from one of my pictures. No toilets, picnic tables or anything. Just several spots and a pretty good view, and it's free. You can also head up Shadow Mountain road to camp in any number of spots along the top. Some of them with panoramic views of the Teton Range.

There is an RV park about 6 miles from Moran Junction as you head out the Northeast boundary of the Park. I don't remember the name, but it has hookups and showers. More of a KOA feeling.

If you look on the map and find Triangle X Ranch, on the East side of the outside road, I boondocked up on the bench that overlooks the valley and the Teton Range. Not sure if it's actually on forest service property, but close. I've only camped up there once and no one ran me off. Maybe I was just lucky.

You can also drive out on an old service road which is about a mile or two before you get to Colter Bay. There are some Park maintenance buildings about 1/2 mile in, but if you keep on going you'll eventually leave the Park and enter forest service land and you can boondock there.

Flagg Ranch is about 10 miles North of the Park and just South of the Yellowstone entrance. There is a campground there but I have never stayed and don't know much about it.

Long post but that's the camping information in and immediately around the Park.

PM me if you need specific information on any of the campgrounds, lakes or trails.

Mike

Old 06-30-2014, 12:24 AM   #12

Mike, I know most of this but many probably don't. That's an awesome summary of the Teton/Jackson campgrounds and it can help lots of people! Thanks for taking the time to jot it down. I'll probably be copy/pasting it for many friends who plan to visit there, which everyone should do btw.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #13

My favorite National Park. Thank you for excellent photos. Wow.
bluesprinter is offline   Reply With Quote